Full System Scan

OutOfBounds

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 22, 2016
Hi I always make sure I do a full system scan with my anti-virus every 1-2 weeks sometimes I do it in safe mode or sometimes I just keep the laptop in normal boot mode

Does it make any difference if you scan in safe mode or normal mode?

Reactions: vemn

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Personally I'd only scan in safe mode if I knew there was malware on my system that couldn't be detected while scanning during a normal boot.

I do a full system scan with my anti-virus every 1-2 weeks
Does your AV use caching? If not surely this gets annoying scanning so often? (Assuming you don't do it overnight or when you're away.)

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
By starting the operating system in safe mode, the drivers are not loaded (and not even the programs that usually start up with the operating system) for which, logically, it is more easy to find any malicious code.

The scan's time is essentially the same (between normal and safe mode) so my advice is always to do the scans in safe mode.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
By starting the operating system in safe mode, the drivers are not loaded (and not even the programs that usually start up with the operating system) for which, logically, it is more easy to find any malicious code.

The scan's time is essentially the same (between normal and safe mode) so my advice is always to do the scans in safe mode.
Weird... I've heard this lots of time but i never come to a conclusion. How come it's easier to find malicious software when the driver or the autorun that executes it/allows it to run is not loaded? #Curiousity

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Weird... I've heard this lots of time but i never come to a conclusion. How come it's easier to find malicious software when the driver or the autorun that executes it/allows it to run is not loaded? #Curiousity
There are malware difficult to remove in the normal way because they are running in background and, about detection, they can interfere with the antivirus.
When malicious code is executed, in some scenarios, it might also try to kill the AV processes.

vemn

Level 6
Verified
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 11, 2017

Eh...sorry noob question from me.
Potentially with Drivers not loaded, can it be a chance which malware perform a check and potentially lay dormant and evade?
Sorry just thinking out loud from my tiny brain :rolleyes:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Eh...sorry noob question from me.
Potentially with Drivers not loaded, can it be a chance which malware perform a check and potentially lay dormant and evade?
Sorry just thinking out loud from my tiny brain :rolleyes:
A clarification, in safe mode many drivers are not loaded, but I mean drivers of some software and applications, not only related to malware.:)

Trying to answer your question, malware context is extremely complex and everything is possible.
For example, because of my work, I've analyzed Stuxnet, and it was designed to harm only those systems with special requirements, while remaining totally dormant in not affected systems. In particular, the malware attacks only Siemens Step7 systems, otherwise the malware itself is designed to be inoperable.
Probably, in the same way some malware activates just secondary sub-routines, causing an infection only in certain situations.

Many malware use drivers, for example some rootkits are implemented by a kernel-mode driver that starts itself during the Windows boot process. When files and registry keys have been hidden, they may not have access to any user-mode process.
Pure rookits seem to be less frequent, but many malicious codes implement rootkits techniques in the attack surface.

In this context, the malware hooks the native core API that allow a driver to be loaded in the kernel and analyzing the Windows API it is possible to identify a call that runs native routine to load the driver into memory by running it.
Of course they there are many ways for drivers to be loaded into memory and executed.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Aside from loading basic drivers, booting from Safe Mode prevents malwares at StartUp folders and HKLM/HKCU/.../Run from starting with Windows. However, there are a rare few that can autostart even in Safemode.

Because they are not running so no resistance when an AV/AM detects them. Same effect you have when you have successfully terminated a malware running in memory, removal is easier.

I would like to add that autorun.inf is bypassed in Safe Mode.

Patching viruses like sality and virut still run in Safe Mode.

Last edited by a moderator:

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I currently have my computer to do a "full scan" when it's needed, i.e when it's most of the time idle. As for the the location I do it i.e if its in safe mode or not, I always do it while normally booting into Windows. Yes booting into safe mode is good to do it but half the time when it is doing a scan I always end up doing something while it's doing one.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.