Battle G Data vs. F-Secure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nedim

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
Liubomir said:
But hey Gdata doesn't have a dual engine in version 2014. F-Secure is also using the Bitdefender engine.

It does have a dual engine.
BitDefender and In house engine I think.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Uhhm here is something fundamentally wrong, its not the comparison itself but the engines used by both vendors.
F-secure – Combines an in-house engine with BitDefender's engine.
G-Data AntiVirus – Combines avast! and BitDefender's engines.

So the comparison is going to be: F-Secure engine vs Avast engine. Then my vote goes to F-Secure due to their incredible well rounded research and knowledge base, which Avast and Gdata both do not have yet.
In terms of Layout i would go for less eye candy and more well rounded, again F-Secure would get my vote.
However both packages are so close in terms of performance and real world protection that it would be nitpicking to favor one over the other as with both you cannot go wrong.

Cheers

Reactions: amz

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
But hey Gdata doesn't have a dual engine in version 2014. F-Secure is also using the Bitdefender engine.

Again wrong, F-Secure has its own engine and will keep using it, As bitdefender is now directly competing against F-Secure so they stopped providing a engine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitdefender
Also if you go to F-Secure itself you will see they have rolled out a total new engine with new patented features (See beta section for 2014)
Because F-Secure has always been a top ranking Vendor but now they are aiming for Sophos and Symantec in terms of quality.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
i thought G-Data will abandon Avast.
Nope because they do not have their own engine infrastructure, so they are licensed to use Avast scanning core.
In time they might be going for a own core but it will still be a Avast hybrid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_Data
However there has been talks to certify a older Bitdefender engine to become a platform for their own engine program.

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
Nope because they do not have their own engine infrastructure, so they are licensed to use Avast scanning core.
In time they might be going for a own core but it will still be a Avast hybrid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_Data
However there has been talks to certify a older Bitdefender engine to become a platform for their own engine program.

no gdata did dump avast for good get your facts rights next time

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013

Actually i need to update this:

Ein Merkmal von G Data AntiVirus ist die sogenannte „DoubleScan“-Engine welche mit Hilfe von zwei unabhängigen Virenscan-Engines (bis Version 2013: Avast! und BitDefender) eine hohe Virenerkennung erreichen soll. Ab der Version 2014 wird die Avast-Engine durch die CloseGap-Engine ersetzt, die G Data selbst entwickelte.
Sorry for German as i could not find a english verion.

So it seems they have developed a new engine probably based upon either Bitdefender engine or Avast.
Either way it seems like a good move as G-Data has always been sort of undervalued given their good detection scores.

Anyway one of the main additives of the new generation of G-Data products is G Data CloseGap technology. This technology reinforces and improve virus detection technology dual engine G Data, besides incorporating proactive detection tools (before the registration of the threat). G Data maintains the detection engine BitDefender but engine replaced Avast on your own, CloseGap.

There you go exactly as i said they either did a Avast hybrid or a engine based upon Bitdefender, so they have chosen Bitdefender as their platform to work from for their new OWN engine, good for them, cannot wait to see the result.
http://www.softabler.com/news/g-data-presents-2014-security-software/
Facts? who said facts?

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
Actually i need to update this:

Sorry for German as i could not find a english verion.

So it seems they have developed a new engine probably based upon either Bitdefender engine or Avast.
Either way it seems like a good move as G-Data has always been sort of undervalued given their good detection scores.

Anyway one of the main additives of the new generation of G-Data products is G Data CloseGap technology. This technology reinforces and improve virus detection technology dual engine G Data, besides incorporating proactive detection tools (before the registration of the threat). G Data maintains the detection engine BitDefender but engine replaced Avast on your own, CloseGap.

There you go exactly as i said.
wth are you talking about avast is gone and besides avast sucks anyway

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
wth are you talking about avast is gone and besides avast sucks anyway

Dude read up what i said, and please mind your words. (Thanks in advance)
I have already admitted i was partly wrong so i did some research and posted it, So read up. and take note of the following line i wrote earlier:
i said they either did a Avast hybrid or a engine based upon Bitdefender, so they have chosen Bitdefender as their platform to work from for their new OWN engine,

Reactions: Ink

Neiltullio

Level 2
Verified
Dec 25, 2013
We have here two products which ATM use BitDefender engine and additionally their own components: GData - CloseGap, FSecure - Deepguard.
FSecure is bigger player and their Deepguard is more mature than CloseGap.
Vote for FSecure.

Last edited:

vrb93

Level 5
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
I didn't voted cause i haven't tried Gdata.
Concerning Fsecure, i tried it not a long time ago, and i didn't remember it was a heavy product :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.