Not open for further replies.

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
Video Game addiction is to be officially recognized by the World Health Organisation (WHO) as an actual disorder for the first time.
The term “Gaming disorder” will make its debut appearance in the 11th edition of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11) later this year.

“Hazardous gaming” and “gaming disorder…due to substance use or addictive behavior” will, (according to a newly proposed draft update of its widely used International Compendium of Diseases) will shortly become a reason for medical or psychological intervention.

The listings, which are to be finalized later this year, have also renewed a debate about whether an addiction to playing video games can ever be compared to substance abuse to cross the line between casual pastime and harmful addiction, or physical disability.

gameing.png

Gaming Disorder will be officially recognized as an issue by the WHO in 2018

April Fools?
No, it’s only January.

The ICD-11 is one of the most widely-used diagnostic manual’s used in modern medicine. The guide was last updated in 1990. The guide contains lists and descriptions of diseases, syndromes, and disorders, and includes signs and symptoms that are routinely by doctors and other health researchers for diagnostic and treatment purposes.

According to New Scientist, specific criteria will be used by professionals in order to assess whether a person is suffering from a gaming disorder. The new version of the WHO manual will suggest that abnormal gaming behavior should be in evidence over a period of at least 12 months “for a diagnosis to be assigned” of Gaming Disorder, but also added that the period of diagnosis could be shortened “if symptoms are severe”.

Symptoms indicative of Gaming Disorder include

• impaired control over gaming (frequency, intensity, duration)
  • increased priority given to gaming
  • continuation or escalation of gaming despite negative consequences
The proposed inclusion of Gaming Disorder has generated a huge response. Unfortunately, much of that response has been reactionary and ‘knee jerk.’

Gaming addiction a real issue for some nations already
Some countries have been dealing with some gaming addiction issues for years. South Korea, for instance has laws that ban online gaming access for children under the age of 16 between midnight and 6am, and in China, internet giant Tencent has limited the hours that children can play its most popular games.

toto_10

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
The first mistake is that you think you can control games. But the games are controlling you if you think the opposite.

Well said.

I voted yes for this one. To a certain degree I'm addicted to gaming. I can still control my behavior but sometimes when I don't play in a while I can just feel that gaming is one of my needs and I have to turn on my PC and start gaming.

Gaming addiction is a BIG problem that people hasn't recognized yet. Every country should take this serious and help out those people that are addictied and help them out. I know that US takes this serious and has specific 'rehab center' for those that needs help.

In my opinion gaming addiction is the same as gambling. You get addicted almost the same way when you gamble. And another big problem with this is, that for example in CS:GO, Overwatch etc. you can buy a case for like $2 and then you need a key to open this case, and that cost $2 as well. In the case there is 10 different items/skins that has different values. You can only get 1 item per case/key and if you are lucky you will win the item that has the highest value but the chances are small. This is straight on GAMBLING FOR KIDS that shouldn't be allowed in any way.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Additions,There not all bad...,words used to describe peoples behavior= dollar signs to many medical buisnesses,I take the stand we are responsible for our actions,with out excuse,I realize, everyone has trouble,by the way I'm addicted to this site! gl all

FHRNHT

Level 1
Jan 8, 2018
Gaming addiction is not one of my personal problem, but I don't want to deny that it can be an addiction to others. And if they really have this addiction they need help. Denying the existance of addiction is denying the need of help and let these people alone in their misery.

Last edited:
Reactions: upnorth and Rengar
D

Deleted member 65228

Anyone can become addicted to anything.

For instance, people have been known to become addicted to drinking tea, vaping water vapour (no addictive substances like nicotine) or watching TV. If you do some research you'll find people obsessed with eating sand (not joking).

It depends on the individual and their brain wiring, I believe it is to do with endorphins but I could be wrong. Some people have more of an addictive personality than others.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Anyone can become addicted to anything.

For instance, people have been known to become addicted to drinking tea, vaping water vapour (no addictive substances like nicotine) or watching TV. If you do some research you'll find people obsessed with eating sand (not joking).

It depends on the individual and their brain wiring, I believe it is to do with endorphins but I could be wrong. Some people have more of an addictive personality than others.

But some people take addiction way too far to the real word, especially GTA.

L

Local Host

When I was younger I could consider myself addicted (had nothing more interesting to do) but now?
I rarely play games, and get bored fast!
Not to mention I have work to do, and come home tired.

71Hemi

Level 2
Verified
Dec 12, 2015
When is Political Addiction going to be widely considered an Official Disorder/Disease?

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I myself have hardly played games, but in the past I was enjoying smartphone games for a while.
Participating in the team online It felt from the game that the real time zone was obscured. Even though we share time in real time, there is a time difference between my morning and late night and the time zone of the participating players. Therefore, when enjoying playing together, there were scenes where we had to sacrifice the daily life rhythm.
There are patterns to be absorbed in an addictive game, but in the case of online games, becoming a psychology close to an obsession such as 'you must continue the game' for this reason is also a factor to become addictive I think.:unsure:

Reactions: Weebarra

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
We can overcome gaming addiction, but we can't overcome cigarette addiction because the nicotine drug will attack the smoker body.

Reactions: CyberTech

MichealHeitz

Apr 13, 2018
The people who are declaring gaming as a disorder are same people who told us that gaming makes decision making ability better and enhances focus....just declare this finally what we should do......

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.