Advice Request GData and its time-consuming updates

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Kiss

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
GData made its last update on 06/04/2022 to version 25.5.12.833, it has been 6 months and since then it has never updated, @struppigel as a member of the GData team, could please explain to us why Gdata different from other companies does not Do update your program frequently? Sometimes it takes 4 months, 5 or 6 months for them to release a simple update, I never understood this company's method...

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
GData made its last update on 06/04/2022 to version 25.5.12.833, it has been 6 months and since then it has never updated, @struppigel as a member of the GData team, could please explain to us why Gdata different from other companies does not Do update your program frequently? Sometimes it takes 4 months, 5 or 6 months for them to release a simple update, I never understood this company's method...
Why updating a program when it's still working as intended?

likeastar20

Level 8
Verified
Mar 24, 2016
I bought G-Data, and some things could be updated. Old UI, horrible virus removal (only if you want to test it with a lot of malware), heavy on resources, ransomware protection inconsistent(based on the "pro" tests).

• Applause
Reactions: BigWrench

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
What exactly is your fear or issue with less frequent program updates?
What's time-critical with AV are signature updates but those are done very frequently (every 2 hours).
Critical security patches are released outside of the program update cycle.

Last edited:

Kiss

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
What exactly is your fear or issue with less frequent program updates?
What's time-critical with AV are signature updates but those are done very frequently (every 2 hours).
Critical security patches are released outside of the program update cycle.
Thanks for the answer. Innovations are always welcome in an antivirus program, like new protection modules, performance improvements, interface change (last update was 2014) could add a dark mode like most companies, GData is very stagnant, in my opinion :)

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
Thanks for the answer. Innovations are always welcome in an antivirus program, like new protection modules, performance improvements, interface change (last update was 2014) could add a dark mode like most companies, GData is very stagnant, in my opinion :)
If there are enough requests for an dark mode, then G-Data will add it, same with the user interface, people are not complaining about the user interface

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
I don't understand the current hype about dark mode. When the first computers came out, they had light letters on a dark background, and everyone complained about poor legibility and eye strain. Then the industry made computers with dark writing on light backgrounds, and now people are clamoring for dark mode. Crazy world!

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I don't understand the current hype about dark mode. When the first computers came out, they had light letters on a dark background, and everyone complained about poor legibility and eye strain. Then the industry made computers with dark writing on light backgrounds, and now people are clamoring for dark mode. Crazy world!
Agree, on a lot of programs/sites dark modes the letters appear blurry to me.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Probably because of display size. Back in the day (I wasn't alive), the display was smaller, so I guess your eyes had to focus harder on the screen to read texts. Now with larger screens, the trend has changed. Bright background on a large display could be too much for some people's eyes.
I read somewhere a couple of months ago that it's better for people with Myopia to use a white theme instead of a dark theme so that it doesn't cause halation effect on their eyes. Then I tried white theme and within 45 minutes my eyes started to hurt and even had a headache. Then I switched to dark mode again.
There are many people like this who face this due to the size of today's monitors. Too much bright light causes issues. Dark themes are relaxing for my eyes, except pitch black (#000000) dark. I don't have an issue with white theme on my 5.5 inch smartphone.
Also, dark theme looks much cooler, lol.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I've used everything from green phosphorus monitors to the current 4k technologies and I must say in most software, dark mode makes it feel like I'm straining my eyes way less than the colorful light modes... I've always used dark interfaces whenever possible, even before dark mode became so universally available.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Probably because of display size. Back in the day (I wasn't alive), the display was smaller, so I guess your eyes had to focus harder on the screen to read texts. Now with larger screens, the trend has changed. Bright background on a large display could be too much for some people's eyes.
I read somewhere a couple of months ago that it's better for people with Myopia to use a white theme instead of a dark theme so that it doesn't cause halation effect on their eyes. Then I tried white theme and within 45 minutes my eyes started to hurt and even had a headache. Then I switched to dark mode again.
There are many people like this who face this due to the size of today's monitors. Too much bright light causes issues. Dark themes are relaxing for my eyes, except pitch black (#000000) dark. I don't have an issue with white theme on my 5.5 inch smartphone.
Also, dark theme looks much cooler, lol.
I agree 100%, I also have problem with light background, only dark mode makes my eyes relaxed. It should be standard any program came with both options, light and dark, because it will serve both audiences.

Carlos Arce

Jun 1, 2017
In agreement that the antivirus needs a redesign in its interface, new icons, the dark mode, it has been necessary for a long time that its interface has not been updated.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.