ESET Smart Security Premium
Fav. Videogame
Battlefield (Series.)

TRS-80

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 16, 2019
Hey All Members and Staff,

Thanks for providing such an invaluable resource for Anti-Malware activities!

I'm something of a "Dinosaur" when it comes to age. Please don't hold that against me.

The first "P.C." I encountered was the old Tandy/Radio Shack TRS-80(hence my 'Tag.') We eventually acquired a 'cassette drive' for it; that 'startlingly brilliant' technology allowed us to actually store our BASIC programs, rather than having to code them each time we needed them. It's great that things have progressed so quickly to our current state with the Internet.

I've had a VERY broad range of experience across a huge number of areas. All have involved computers in some way.

Currently, I want to brush up on Malware Remediation, Malware Hunting and, Research.

I tend to be a little time poor at present but will endeavour to be around as much as possible.

I'm always happy to help people, with a genuine need, with their computers.

Thanks again,

TRS-80
(Mike)

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I missed you out there @Burrito - Thanks Mate!

Hey.... we (my employer) have a TRS-80 in a little cyber museum.

Good stuff.

And welcome (back).

1566051947782.png

TRS-80

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 16, 2019
@Burrito - That's an absolute classic. I recon we used basically a keyboard and a TV. I might just be a bit foggy there. It did the job though. I'm laughing so hard!

@Burrito - I reckon it was the one top centre. That looks more like it. Still laughing.

@Burrito , I'll paint you a little picture.

We used to sit in a plaster board shack at the back of my uncle's shed. The thing was more holes than wall. In that tiny room we worked on Ruby Rod Lasers. The TRS-80 was for calculating cooling and optics. So I'd be sitting there tapping away at the TRS-80 while my uncle had a "dhurrie" and "despatched" a few possums with a quiet twenty two.

When I think back to those days I can't help but to giggle.

Those little TRS-80s sure took a hammering. They were probably more soundly constructed than today's computers are. There was not much that could really mess up. When those cassette drives packed it in(usually due to my uncle,) it was a little frustrating. There was not an easily available backup device.

Thanks for the imagery!

:giggle:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Welcome to MT (y)

Hey All Members and Staff,

Thanks for providing such an invaluable resource for Anti-Malware activities!

I'm something of a "Dinosaur" when it comes to age. Please don't hold that against me.

The first "P.C." I encountered was the old Tandy/Radio Shack TRS-80(hence my 'Tag.') We eventually acquired a 'cassette drive' for it; that 'startlingly brilliant' technology allowed us to actually store our BASIC programs, rather than having to code them each time we needed them. It's great that things have progressed so quickly to our current state with the Internet.

I've had a VERY broad range of experience across a huge number of areas. All have involved computers in some way.

Currently, I want to brush up on Malware Remediation, Malware Hunting and, Research.

I tend to be a little time poor at present but will endeavour to be around as much as possible.

I'm always happy to help people, with a genuine need, with their computers.

Thanks again,

TRS-80
(Mike)
You are not the only "Dinosaur" here ;)

TRS-80

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 16, 2019
Hello @stefanos ,

Thanks kindly for your 'creaky boned' welcome! I'm glad I'm not the only dinosaur in the jungle!

I was reading an exchange about AV products. Everyone is making their points known.

@oldschool ,

Congratulations on your smartphone! Nice score! Welcome to the world of hyper technology.;)

Thanks to you too!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.