Guide | How To Getting Started With Windows Security - What You Need.

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
So, you've got a new computer running Windows, and you want to start hooking it up to the net. The internet has a lot to through at you and you want to be safe from it. Here's what you need to know to get started with security:
  1. Install security software or go to Windows Update (Windows 7+) and install the Microsoft Security Essentials optional update. Although most Computers nowadays are preinstalled with something from the manufacturer, these are usually just trials of something like McAfee that are inferior to free ones that you can get on the net. I would recommend Comodo Internet Security or Avast. Note that in versions of windows before windows 7, Microsoft Security Essentials can be downloaded from here.
  2. Get a firewall, unless you installed Comodo Internet Security from the above, you should get a firewall with HIPS built in. Those that I recommend are Comodo Firewall, PC tools firewall plus, Privatefirewall or Online Armor. You should also connect to the internet using a router, this is better than a software firewall but the HIPS component is still something to install a software firewall for.
  3. Get something like Sandboxie (Both 32 and 64 bit), Bufferzone (Only 32 bit, may be planning a 64 bit version) or GeSWall (Only 32 bit at the time of writing this, though there are plans to make a 64 bit version). GeSWall is my personal pick.
  4. Install another browser or get Internet Explorer 9 (Vista with the latest updates and later), they are typically less exploited by malware and have more security features than what you would get from typically preinstalled browsers. The alternative browsers that I would recommend are Opera and Google Chrome. Mozilla Firefox is also popular, it's not one of my personal favourites, but it's still one to consider.
  5. Install some security addons, WoT is a must for a compatible browser. You can also use SiteAdvisor and Adblock Plus if you want, though WoT is the one that you really need.
  6. You may now want to download a companion antivirus, Immunet Protect.
  7. Get an on demand scanner in case your first line of defence misses anything. Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware have high on demand detection rates, so I would recommend those.
  8. Disk imaging software should be used every few months or so. I only know of Macrium Reflect.
  9. For Vista, the UAC included is very annoying, but disabling it would be very unwise. I would instead advise getting Norton UAC because it has more technical information and it allows you to make it not ask you again for an application. This application is not compatible with Windows 7.
Let me know what you think of the list so far and what I could do to improve it.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
2. Firewall: A hardware firewall or router with integrated firewall is also useful. It will handle inbound protection better than the default firewall integrated into windows. This is a must for users that don't want to configure firewalls or answer pop-ups. This will also lower the amount of pop-ups you get from a software firewall especially if you are connected to a large network.
3. I think that Bufferzone is planning on a 64bit version also.
4. No firefox?
Image your windows partition to be safe. Format + re-installing from scratch is a time consuming operation.

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
bogdan said:
2. Firewall: A hardware firewall or router with integrated firewall is also useful. It will handle inbound protection better than the default firewall integrated into windows. This is a must for users that don't want to configure firewalls or answer pop-ups. This will also lower the amount of pop-ups you get from a software firewall especially if you are connected to a large network.
4. No firefox?
Image your windows partition to be safe. Format + re-installing from scratch is a time consuming operation.
I added your suggestions to the guide. Thanks. :great:

Chiron

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
elliotcroft said:
bogdan said:
4. No firefox?

Why not mention a few things from this article?
Specifically some addons/extensions would be a good thing to add.

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Chiron said:
elliotcroft said:
bogdan said:
4. No firefox?

Thanks for the link. I'll have a look at it.
Could you give me any other specific addons?

Chiron

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
elliotcroft said:
Chiron said:
elliotcroft said:
bogdan said:
4. No firefox?

That depends, are you talking about Firefox, Google Chrome, Comodo Dragon, etc...

My favorite addons/extensions are included in that article, but there are a few things that could be updated.

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Chiron said:
elliotcroft said:
Chiron said:
elliotcroft said:
bogdan said:
4. No firefox?

That depends, are you talking about Firefox, Google Chrome, Comodo Dragon, etc...

My favorite addons/extensions are included in that article, but there are a few things that could be updated.
I'll leave it there for now.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Great article indeed. Reminded me of HostsMan and of TweakUAC (although you can achieve the same settings with gpedit.msc or a reg file, using a tool is much easier)

I also like that you mention LUA. If you ask me the only secure way to run Windows is with a standard user account. And under Win7 this is not a painful experience. Unfortunately I can't convince anyone about that.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
bogdan said:
I also like that you mention LUA. If you ask me the only secure way to run Windows is with a standard user account. And under Win7 this is not a painful experience. Unfortunately I can't convince anyone about that.

Well...I regularly am glad I'm using an admin account. Some random things that I use need it. Kind of funny since I can't remember most of them...I just recall all the problems I had when I tried to use a LUA. :-/ Works for some, I guess.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Unfortunately many apps demand administrative rights even if they don't need them. This is something coming from all the years windows was a single user OS. You rarely see linux users running as root.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.