New Update Ghostery 7.2 - Human Web (Cliqz) and More!

Do you use Ghostery?

• Yes

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • No

Votes: 25 80.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Download v7.2 for browsers: Download the Ghostery Browser Extension and Mobile Apps

Ghostery Blog: Spring Has Sprung and So Has Ghostery v7.2! - Ghostery

Spring has sprung and with it an updated version of Ghostery v7.2 is ready for the masses! This release includes a number of big improvements and changes, so continue on to learn more.
  • Ghostery 7.2 includes our first official unveiling of the Human Web (not available on Microsoft Edge). It's open-source (check out the code), is implemented in all new installations of Ghostery, though users can easily opt out of it at any time.
  • All advanced features – including slow and non-secure alerts and URL patterns – available to all users, even those without accounts.
  • Added a page speed indicator to the main panel, which shows the load time for the page. This indicator is a great way to see the impact that blocking or not blocking trackers with Ghostery has on how quickly websites load.
If you want to join the beta testers group, feel free to do so by following this link and signing up.

Due to the implementation of the Human Web and our plans to implement more advance features in the future, we have updated our Privacy Policy, which you can see here.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Cool share Spawn.
I don't and won't use this, not going to use software that I can't trust.
Most of us know that this company is not trustworthy, those that don't
know should do their homework. ;)
Agreed ;)
In general (but especially when it comes to privacy) always better to trust the open source software, open by definition.
Because with a closed software like Ghostery, you never know how it works in depth, you can only trust it!

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Agreed ;)
In general (but especially when it comes to privacy) always better to trust the open source software, open by definition.
Because with a closed software like Ghostery, you never know how it works in depth, you can only trust it!
Your spot on here, and that was my reasoning as well as their checkered past.
Arequire makes a good point too, I went and looked at who has them (Ghostery) now,
and it may be "ok" but it is so hard to regain trust once it is lost in the manner that Ghostery lost mine.
Thanks fellas.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't and won't use this, not going to use software that I can't trust.
Most of us know that this company is not trustworthy, those that don't know should do their homework.
For what reasons?

These are the available Sharing options:
Sharing page and tracker data
  • Ghostery is free because some of our users anonymously and voluntarily opt-in to share data with us about the sites and trackers the browser encounters.
Sharing extension usage analytics
  • We collect usage analytics to better understand what features users like. For example , if you click pause, we will collect a ping letting us know you used that feature.
You can read up about the Human Web here: What is the Human Web and what data is collected through it? - Ghostery

Reactions: Kuttz and frogboy

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
For what reasons?

• Ghostery is free because some of our users anonymously and voluntarily opt-in to share data with us about the sites and trackers the browser encounters.
  • We collect usage analytics to better understand what features users like. For example , if you click pause, we will collect a ping letting us know you used that feature.
You can read up about the Human Web here: What is the Human Web and what data is collected through it? - Ghostery
I'd have a serious problem with:
  • Non-Private URLs
  • Search queries along with Search Engine Results Pages
Detecting and reporting which trackers are encountered and how prevalent they are is absolutely fine but the fact it collects browsing history and search queries is a step too far for me, regardless of how many times they claim it's anonymised. I also feel "non-private URLs" is a terrible way to phrase it. Like they're declaring only parts of your browsing history is private and the rest is open season.
I'd opt for Privacy Badger or Disconnect instead.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
For what reasons?

You can use this source, but in the past Ghostery was, and still may be selling user data.
You can use it I don't judge, but I choose not to use it because I know what they have done in the past.
Here are some facts for you to ponder ;)
REPORT: Web Ad-Blocking Company Sells User Data To Advertisers

military

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 13, 2012
Update. Date 24.05.2017.
Ghostery 7.2.1.3 (Chrome, Opera) / 7.2.0.25 (Firefox).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.