Question Ghostpress Startup

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Junglist

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 12, 2017
Hi,

I've just bought a new Windows 11 laptop and I've downloaded Ghostpress. When signed in with my administrator account Ghostpress opens in Startup as it should with a system tray icon and desktop widget. In task manager it is listed under the Apps heading and uses 0.1% CPU.

However, when using my standard user account it does not show in the system tray, there's no widget and in task manager it is listed under Background Processes and alternates between two entries, Ghostpress and Ghostpress.exe. They use up to 5.5% CPU. I'm guessing it's just not starting. How can i resolve this?

Thanks (y)

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hi ,

This seems like a permissions issue. Try running Ghostpress as an administrator on your standard user account. Right-click the Ghostpress icon, select 'Run as administrator', and see if that resolves the issue. If not, you may need to adjust the user permissions in the Windows settings.

Reactions: cotton

Junglist

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 12, 2017
Hi Mark,

This seems like a permissions issue. Try running Ghostpress as an administrator on your standard user account. Right-click the Ghostpress icon, select 'Run as administrator', and see if that resolves the issue. If not, you may need to adjust the user permissions in the Windows settings.

Best,
Ghostpress Support
Right clicking and running as admin works, but is there a way it will just open by itself in Startup?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Right clicking and running as admin works, but is there a way it will just open by itself in Startup?
Yes, you can set Ghostpress to run at startup. Go to Task Manager > Startup tab, find Ghostpress, right-click and enable it. If it's not listed there, you might need to add a shortcut of the Ghostpress.exe file to your Startup folder (press Win+R, type shell:startup, and press Enter to open it).

Junglist

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 12, 2017
Yes, you can set Ghostpress to run at startup. Go to Task Manager > Startup tab, find Ghostpress, right-click and enable it. If it's not listed there, you might need to add a shortcut of the Ghostpress.exe file to your Startup folder (press Win+R, type shell:startup, and press Enter to open it).
After adding a shortcut to the Startup folder Windows opened with a Ghostpress "Instance already running!" message, there are three Ghostpress entries in the task manager Startup tab, one of which is disabled and no entries in the task manager itself.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
After adding a shortcut to the Startup folder Windows opened with a Ghostpress "Instance already running!" message, there are three Ghostpress entries in the task manager Startup tab, one of which is disabled and no entries in the task manager itself.
It seems like Ghostpress is trying to start multiple instances at startup. Remove the extra shortcuts from the Startup folder and disable the extra entries in Task Manager. Keep only one instance enabled. If the issue persists, consider reinstalling Ghostpress.

Junglist

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 12, 2017
It seems like Ghostpress is trying to start multiple instances at startup. Remove the extra shortcuts from the Startup folder and disable the extra entries in Task Manager. Keep only one instance enabled. If the issue persists, consider reinstalling Ghostpress.
Okay so I'm back to square one. Is it better to install when using an admin account?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Okay so I'm back to square one. Is it better to install when using an admin account?
Yes, installing Ghostpress from an admin account should provide the necessary permissions for it to run properly. After installation, ensure it's set to run at startup. If the issue persists, reach out to Ghostpress support for further assistance.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
2024-03-05_22-33-52.jpg

Not officially updated since 2021, I wouldn't recommend testing it other then maybe in a VM ( virtual machine ). The developer hasn't been here on MT since early 2022.

HSDev

From schiffer.tech
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Oct 31, 2019
For installing on your main admin and your second non-admin account, please logon to your account and launch the Reset Setup.cmd in the Data folder of Ghostpress while Ghostpress is not running. Then relaunch Ghostpress afterwards.
In the setup disable the option to grant Ghostpress administrator privileges while the other options can be selected as you like. You can minimize Ghostpress now and log off afterwards. After logging in back to your account Ghostpress should start.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.