Advice Request Give your Security tips for Working From Home

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Which type of tips? For windows, for email, for browser, ..

Also depending on your work that make a difference too, like VPN to work PC.

Maybe you should start with your own config as own thread so we know your security level

Dave Woski

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 19, 2020
Which type of tips? For windows, for email, for browser, ..

Also depending on your work that make a difference too, like VPN to work PC.

Maybe you should start with your own config as own thread so we know your security level
Good Question!
My Security Level:
1) Using a VPN
2) Kaspersky Enabled
That's all. :D
Are there any other security measures I should take?

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
One good free antivirus (Kaspersky free , Bitdefender free or windows defender with AndyFul/Hard_Configurator ) if you not want to give money. System and Data Backup, Virus and Malware Removal Tools ( eset online scaner , Norton power eraser, HitMan Pro Free) and harden your Windows settings with syshardener. And the most important to stay secure is the brain. The virus never comes into our system alone. We invite him ;)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yeah, humans are wont to err, but just keep poking around on this forum and soon you will be well informed about all kinds of security issues and how to overcome them. Knowledge is your best weapon -- as long as you use it, of course.
Since we all slip up occasionally, it's good to harden your system against attack. The best tool I know for that is Hard_Configurator from @Andy Ful. Check it out, it's pretty popular on this forum.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Don't be stupid is my general advice.

On a work laptop, you will need to extra careful against;
  • Phishing emails - don't follow any link etc
  • Device theft - keep all electronics out of sight. Criminals are opportunists.
  • Lock your PC if you step away
  • Browse your Personal social media on your own devices.
  • Make sure your own WiFi network is secure

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Necessary minimum for protection:
1) harden the system using Syshardener.
2) use the Windows firewall + Windows firewall control with the control of outgoing connections.
3) use a free antivirus (Kaspersky, for example) and scan the entire system.
4) configure your browser (put an adblocker, for example, uBlock Origin).
5) use vpn.
6) check your Wi-Fi for extraneous connections.

Dave Woski

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 19, 2020
Don't be stupid is my general advice.

On a work laptop, you will need to extra careful against;
  • Phishing emails - don't follow any link etc
  • Device theft - keep all electronics out of sight. Criminals are opportunists.
  • Lock your PC if you step away
  • Browse your Personal social media on your own devices.
  • Make sure your own WiFi network is secure
Thanks for your tips.

I make sure all of your mentioned measures except point #2 & #5. Will try to cover them as well. My home router has a WPA2 so that might be Okay, I believe?

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
If you are making changes maybe you weren't doing things right before? Most of my most valuable data (Tb's) is as always here at home - Elsewhere its usually on the cloud in much smaller amounts - I often tell people hard drives can & do fail often without warning, if yours did what would you do? Most don't change & often keep their backup drives plugged in 🤬 Words fail me then - Of course many adopt the hope for the best approach but that system gave me four children :oops::oops:

Dave Woski

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 19, 2020
Would it be an effective measure to keep my data at Google Drive or Mega? It would be a lot easier to access and safer as well.
Most of my documents are already on Google docs so why not put the entire drive on cloud?

Reactions: Protomartyr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.