Good Alternative of FileHippo - FileHorse

Discussion in 'System Utilities' started by MrExplorer, Jul 13, 2013.

1. musings4

musings4 Level 3

Feb 17, 2014
    I browse on both sites but Filehorse doesn't have beta updates from apps, which Filehippo and Softpedia offers.

GonzitoVir likes this.
  2. Littlebits

Littlebits Retired Staff

May 3, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I will have to somewhat agree since they have an adware policy and actually scan all files for malware.
    Softpedia has a wide selection of software not listed on other download sites but on the bad site they have more junkware listed than any other download site. If you just want the basic popular software then SnapFiles and MajorGeeks are better option since it has much less junkware listed.

FileHippo is a good download site but it takes them much longer to keep the software listed updated, sometimes falls weeks behind on some updates.

If Softpedia would clean up all the junkware programs then it would be the best download site.

Avoid Cnet Download.com, Softonic and BrotherSoft since they use adware wrappers.

Enjoy!! :D

3. digitalman

digitalman New Member

May 28, 2014
    i too like these 3 websites unlike cnet that bundles crapware in the software on there website these 3 websites downloads are all bundle free another very good website that has malware free software on it & does not bundle there software is snapfiles.com so that makes 4

Shadowclogger likes this.
  4. Shadowclogger

Shadowclogger New Member

May 31, 2014
    I found out, to my horror, that some sites would reroute the "computer consumer" to CNET. I think Adobe did, I think Java did. I can't remember for certain, but I remember getting hit by this stupid PUP called "Level Quality Watcher." I've run through my antivirus programs, and for some reason the thing keeps on coming back! Argh

Thanks so much for this post because I'm CONSTANTLY looking for good sites to research for antivirus, add-ons, :eek:etc.

5. James Hood

James Hood New Member

Jan 1, 2018
    UK
    Windows 7
    ESET
    lol, i just read comments and can't stop laughing. Btw, www.techspot.com/downloads/ and www.filerabit.com are good for me because they mentioned about malware or spyware advertisement before the download button. So the user have the choice to download suspicious or ads based apps or leave it.

6. elixir

elixir Level 1

Jan 5, 2017
    Romania
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
  7. Andytay70

Andytay70 Level 13

Jul 6, 2015
    Electricial engineer
    UK
    Windows 10
    Avast
    I use filehorse.
    Filehippo seems to update a day after everyone else IMO.

8. Iapepe

Iapepe Level 4

Mar 17, 2013
    Romania
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
  9. 212eta

212eta Level 7

May 11, 2011
    Windows Desktop
    Windows 10
    Isolation