Good lightweight install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti Vir

Thread author
Dec 29, 2014
Hi all. I'm thinking of coming back to Avast free after trying a few other AV programs. I just want a lightweight, free program that offers good protection. The full Avast package looks very bloated, but I've seen a few people recommend doing a custom install and installing the file shield only (none of the stuff under 'tools', no web shield, etc.)

Would just the file shield and a program like Malwarebytes be "good enough" protection? I'm usually pretty careful about where I go online and what I download.

Reactions: Engage

Engage

Oct 19, 2015
Ciao (hello) :)

If you ask me, Avast is a decent product and it can do its job fairly well. I agree that it can be bloated a bit too much, therefore if you do not wish to use the additional features which can be installed, I recommend choosing the custom install option and then unchecking all objects except for the protection shields you wish to use and any additional languages you may want installed.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a good product and does a good job. If you use Avast, I recommend using Malwarebytes on-demand (the free version will be enough as it supports this) and then Avast for the real-time protection. I don't recommend using two security products for real-time scanning (unless the additional one is just scanning processes).

Would just the file shield and a program like Malwarebytes be "good enough" protection?
The quick and short answer is yes, however if you are a happy click user than no product will be able to completely protect you. Apply good browsing habbits and you'll be much safer online generally speaking.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
if you set Avast with HIPS on 3 and Hardened Mode on Aggressive, you don't need anything else. Also if you can install NG, do it.

Reactions: Engage and SayanQ
S

SayanQ

if you set Avast with HIPS on 3 and Hardened Mode on Aggressive, you don't need anything else. Also if you can install NG, do it.
I personally don't use Avast! NG,is there any deference in protection ?Some time NG slowdown PC.

Reactions: Kuttz

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Yes it's a part of DeepScreen (you can read more here). The NG doesn't slow your PC, your PC is slow only when it installs the NG and after you will not feel it.

Also, if you use Windows 10, NG doesn't work in the stable version.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I think if you enable Hardened Mode, NG is useless because Avast wouldn't call for DeepScreen analysis.

Reactions: Online_Sword

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Avast with HIPS on 3
Avast has a HIPS module? I cannot find it...
Maybe here you mean "Heuristic", not "HIPS"?

Avast wouldn't call for DeepScreen analysis
Although the official document says that "the Hardened Mode will always prevail over the DeepScreen", but it also says:
However, unlike the Hardened Mode, this tool (DeepScreen) is also capable of running a file which has no rating (or insufficient number of ratings – usually below 20-50, depending on the file) in the sandbox to test its behavior (compare it with malicious patterns) and then decide whether to allow or block it.
So, suppose that I enable DeepScreen and Harden mode at the same time.
If I try to launch an executable file with NO rating information, would DeepScreen analyze it with sandbox or not?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Avast and Qihoo have the same way to provide numerous features which some of them are unnecessary so having custom install is not a problem nor sacrifice the protection very much.

For Avast one thing to complement is a companion layer like Crystal Security or SecureAplus unless better tweak the passive HIPS, Hardened Mode and enable DeepScreen from Avast instead cause its a full package next to Qihoo and Comodo.

For Deepscreen based concept as much as possible it will detect based on possible premature file hence hardened will be last resort if detects to be unknown.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Although the official document says that "the Hardened Mode will always prevail over the DeepScreen", but it also says:

So, suppose that I enable DeepScreen and Harden mode at the same time.
If I try to launch an executable file with NO rating information, would DeepScreen analyze it with sandbox or not?
From RejZor: does avast hardened mode improve malware detection? | Wilders Security Forums
Hardened Mode

- Moderate
Automatically blocks anything that would otherwise trigger DeepScreen analysis. It gets triggered by preliminary file analysis and reputation, but then program doesn't get analyzed by the DeepScreen, instead it's blocked instantly. Basically, program has to exhibit some basic suspicious characteristics and it will get blocked entirely.

- Aggressive
Pretty much entirely disregards file behavior on the system and strictly obeys the whitelist. Anything not on the whitelist is blocked. As funny as it might sound, this mode at least from my experience works better than "Moderate" and also provides dramatically higher protection. You can say it provides nearly 100% protection.

If you deal with new program releases, both will get slightly annoying (especially if those apps aren't digitally signed), but Aggressive is more user friendly from my experience. I'm using this mode on my tablet and sister's computer where apps are rarely updated or installed and everything is working just fine.

Reactions: Online_Sword

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Business Security 2015 don't have that.Only home Product:)

Here is a list of setting items in File System Shield given by the official website of avast.
avast File System Shield settings.PNG
The official website does not specify the edition. So I assume it applies to every edition.
All these items in this list could be found in the business edition...

So...again, could you provide a screenshot of the HIPS option? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.