Google acquires VirusTotal - Good or Bad ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
More Here:
http://blog.virustotal.com/2012/09/an-update-from-virustotal.html

I did have mixed views on this initially but think this could be a winner for security in general.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
NSG001 said:
I have mixed views on this.

Why?

Google offers free products so their is no chance of VT becoming a paid service and Google is known for developing top-notch products.
I do expect a new design with new features, more involved security developers and quickly growing community.
Now,I can only see one reason why Google bought this company....They most likely want to integrate it in their Google Search/Chrome products..... I've got a feeling that when we will see a malicious download or on page warning, we will have a 'Send to virustotal.com for analysis' link.
BPhqE.png

Any idea what the price for VT was?

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
I think this is a good thing as Jack said we will most likely see integration to the search engine since VT has a url scanner which would be good because of the multiple engines it uses.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Yeah i am more in favour than against though.
I must say i am already impressed by the phishing filter within chrome/dragon, so more power i guess :)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
NSG001 said:
I must say i am already impressed by the phishing filter within chrome/dragon, so more power i guess :)

Indeed,there are only a few malware samples which aren't detected by Chrome as malicious......Definitely they aren't using just the Safe Browsing technology.Google really managed to take a huge advantage over Internet Explorer and Firefox.
Interesting article: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Did-Google-Pull-a-Fast-One-on-Firefox-and-Safari-Users

I

illumination

If you utilize flagfox for firefox, you would already be aware that Virus Total has been running off of Google Servers this whole time, so really not much has changed but ownership.

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
Hello

i can see good things come out of this acquisition so i thank it's a good thing

but i wonder what it will be called Google Virus Total just don't sound right lol

:)

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
NSG001 said:
I did have mixed views on this initially but think this could be a winner for security in general.

I'm much the same. Google does have the clout to do some great things, but they've never seemed to be very security oriented to me. So I'm questioning the purchase, but it could turn out to be a good thing.

InternetChicken

Jul 16, 2012
Bad bad bad , VirusTotal + Google = Internet Chicken = not happy
I dis like Google , and all they own ,,,
and it wont be winner for security in general not at all .

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
InternetChicken said:
Bad bad bad , VirusTotal + Google = Internet Chicken = not happy
I dis like Google , and all they own ,,,
and it wont be winner for security in general not at all .

you hate google :eek:rc: ...why???

InternetChicken

Jul 16, 2012
I don't hate Google I dis like Google
When possible I avoid using anything that Google owns
I agree with HeffeD Google has not been very security oriented
Vt has a lot of malware put through it every day and has many users,
and I wondering What Google is going to do with all that information,

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Google still implement a great deal of security features in their products, even if it is not their main focus.
I'm hoping that they'll make a free Hitman Pro type scanner from all of VirusTotal's engines.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I believe this will help VirusTotal grow into a much bigger site than what it already has. Google has the money to make it much better and Google does make excellent free products.

Thanks.:D

InternetChicken

Jul 16, 2012
I like elliotcroft's Idea of a free Hitman Pro type scanner from all of VirusTotal's engines
that would be nice , cant see it happening though ,

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
My thoughts: I don't think Google would release a scanner of such, but maybe use VT resources/intelligence for some security mechanism in Chrome/ChromeOS/Google itself.

InternetChicken

Jul 16, 2012
use VT resources/intelligence for some security mechanism in Chrome/ChromeOS/Google itself

I would say That would be the most likely out come

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.