Google acquires VirusTotal - Good or Bad ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
A big plus that I can think of as far as Google running VT, is that nobody gets around the web as thoroughly as Google. If their web crawlers are submitting results, that would tend to be a big help even to the participating AV's. I think that would definitely increase the amount of samples submitted.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Google will use VT to filter databases. Also use it in chrome for security. For those who dont know Opera from v10 incorporated Avg Linkscanner databases for malicious websites. May be google will release an antivirus? :hehe:

DeadDrop

Aug 19, 2012
I hope google releases a AV. They are leaders in innovation. So with the VT database they would get an instant AV signature database for GMAIL, CHROME & their other products.

I can see this as a good thing. I think where this is heading is a Google OS to challange MS in the next 10 years. They just have to do it if you ask me.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What good would an AV do to protect against zero-day malware. Nothing.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
DeadDrop said:
I hope google releases a AV.

I think this is the next step for Google....
Was wondering why Google didn't developed a service similar like VT.... I mean the Google Engineers could write the VT code in less than 24 hours... I guess VT was not that expensive or they've just bought it because it was already known among the geeks....hmmmm...

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Some tyrant could utilize Google, just like anything else (internet, things intended to benefit humanity, etc.), but until then, I say it is a good thing.

I too would like to see Google get into the AV and anti-malware arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.