Google Anti-Virus/Internet Security?

• Thread starter MalwareBlockerYT
  • Start date

Do you think it would be cool for Google to create a high quality AV product?

• Total voters
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Hi all,

As a AV Tester/Reviewer on Youtube I see plenty of AV software & I just suddenly thought why hasn't Google developed an Anti-Virus or Internet Security Suite? Google makes plenty of technology (self driving cars), owns Android, is the most used Search Engine & is a pretty amazing company (in my opinion).

So my questions are...Do you think it would be cool for Google to create a high quality AV product? Do you think it will ever happen? Do you think if they did, their product would be able to compete with Emsisoft & other top end AV products?

Hopefully this will spark some interesting discussions & please vote on the poll if as well as leaving a post if you want to continue discussing the topic :)

Thanks for reading, have a nice day :D

Malware Blocker

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
They won't, not until they can find a way to collect your info (harvest) while
fending off malware lol "Multitasking"
It would not matter if they did make an AV, I would not touch it with a 10ft pole.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hardly think it will ever happen. To start with they have always focus on creating/developing useful tools for humanity, or informatics. Software and technology. Still, they always defined theirselves as creative and revolutionaries. An antivirus wouldn't make them an of those. Plus, they'd really lose popularity, since nowadays antivirus fail the most and are not very "useful". Unless they create a new high-quality technology to provide security, they won't. And if they do they'll pretty much use it for their products or OS, not to give Windows Security.

Anyways, i voted yes. I think it would be cool.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I think it would be an interesting AV. Thanks for the idea. I always thought they would jump into the AV market since acquiring Virus Total in 2012.
They most likely are working on something, but you know Google if they launch
something it will be a big event and big drama. They will want to "wow" users.

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
It would be interesting to see a "Google Antivirus". They must be having so many resources, so many coders, so much technology at their disposal...they should at least consider it. Or if not, try to identify and expose as many viruses and malware as possible, into the public domain.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
- Do you think it would be cool for Google to create a high quality AV product?
Yeah, it could be.

- Do you think it will ever happen?
No. Based on some comments I have read from Google employees online, it appears Google views antiviruses as a false sense of security. And they have been openly critical of antiviruses that decrease the built-in protection of the OS and their browser.

- Do you think if they did, their product would be able to compete with Emsisoft & other top end AV products?
Probably. Considering the resources they have, they could develop a very good security product.

przemo_one

Level 3
Verified
Feb 4, 2014
Would be cool but it will not happen. Google is supporting Open Source. They already make Android to check for dangerous apps and Chrome is checking for malicious urls like any other browser. Anti malware mechanisms are present in their products. There is no need to develop separate application.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Google has money and know-how and a system based on reputation, real-time analysis and cloud computing would be very effective. What could make it interesting is the vast knowledge about network of Google and its ability to analyse the Web: thanks to this, Google could overcome all the other antivirus in the rate of success, in the navigation and in the analysis of the files that you download from the Web.
But maybe I'm too optimistic :D

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Thanks for all the awesome discussions here, all of these responses are really interesting to read!

I personally think that it would be pretty cool if Google bothered to do this but like everyone has already said it probably won't happen. Google has the power to be the best if it either bought or improved on the signatures & every aspect of each top quality AV product already out there: Emsisoft, Kaspersky, Bitdefender, etc.

Google if they wanted to could probably even make a combination of Emsisoft's signatures, Kaspersky's settings & features & Bitdefender's Ransomware protection whilst housing that power in a nice & tidy GUI. I feel like they would do a great job if they put the time & effort into creating this sort of product and many people would actually probably buy this sort of product from them because they own a Nexus Device, use Android, like the Google Search Engine or Youtube for example and think that their AV must be pretty good.

If Google ever does create an Anti-Virus/Internet Security Suite I will remember this forum discussion & be pretty happy that I predicted the future :D

Reactions: AtlBo and tim one
R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
I voted yes i think Google have the resources and finances needed. With all the links scanned by their search engine they would probably have the best web shield on the market.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Google owns VirusTotal, but whether or not it's database is shared with Google Safe Browsing remains a mystery. Safe Browsing is set to get more powers by blocking repeatedly offending malicious websites.

Traditional Antivirus software are ineffective and wasteful. This would be a major step backwards, if Google were to release an Antivirus.

Voted against.

Does anyone remember Google Pack? | Link

Reactions: jamescv7 and SHvFl

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
I think it's better to fix/patch android vulnerabilities before they create antivirus.

Reactions: SHvFl

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
Would it be cool? Yes. Would it be disappointing when they don't funnel a huge amount of resources into the project and eventually cancel it, as Google tends to do? Also yes. I guess it depends.

Reactions: SHvFl

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Pretty sure google has its own in house AV its not an AV its much more sophisticated than that using multiple strategic ways of looking for malicious code within their networks.This Google pays $100k to anti-malware crusader Giovanni Vigna is just one article showing that google does have an in house av am department. They are paying millions for it in total I'd imagine. This bridges all of their platforms including their mass networks all over the world.

Reactions: Ink and SHvFl

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.