Google Chrome continues its rapid rise, IE and Firefox fall

Will Chrome manage to get a 20% Market Share by the end of the year?

• Yes

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • It has a good chance

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
If you’re looking for a tech success story, look no further than Google’s Chrome browser. Introduced less than three years ago, it has soared in popularity among techies and civilians worldwide. And its gains are coming at the direct expense of Microsoft and Mozilla.

[................]

Worldwide, Net Market Share says usage of Google Chrome almost doubled in the past year, from 7.24% to 13.11%. At ZDNet, which tends to attract a more technically sophisticated visitor, the increase was even more startling, going for 15.0% in June 2010 to 24.4% this summer.

Among other browsers, only Safari has been able to grow over the past year, creeping up roughly 2.6%, largely on the strength of growth in iOS devices. At ZDNet, Safari’s share started higher and its growth was much more modest, going from 9.6% to 10.5%.

Firefox is a net loser over the past year. In the Net Market Share numbers, Mozilla Firefox saw its share decline from 23.8% to 21.7%, Here at ZDNet, the decline was a bit more precipitous, tumbling from 34.4% to 30.9%. That’s a 10% drop in the three years since Chrome appeared.

And finally, there’s the biggest loser, Internet Explorer, which has not been able to reverse its losses. Part of the damage is self-inflicted, because Microsoft chose not to make its latest release, Internet Explorer 9, compatible with Windows XP. The impact? On the Net Market Share scale, IE is in danger of slipping below the 50% mark, sliding in a year from 60.3% to 53.7%. Among the tech-centric ZDNet audience, IE still keeps its plurality, but just barely. Its share has gone from 37.9% to 31.1% over the past year.

Read more

D Bone

May 28, 2011
Chrome is the best browser I have ever used. The design alone lets me concentrate on the web content and not the browser.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I'm amazed how Google Chrome has improved and in constant development.
It is a very good browser but I still prefer Firefox because of customization.
Google Chrome has comparable extensions to Firefox which make it easy to switch over for many users.

However there are still many websites which don't display correctly in Google Chrome.
I hate the top menu in Google Chrome is another reason why I won't switch.
Don't understand why they edited the default menu for the Apple Webkit (Safari).
Safari has an excellent top menu. Google Chrome top menu has everything hidden where you have to do several clicks to navigate or find what you need.

Not all users need this top menu like myself, therefore this won't be a setback for them.
Google Chrome's simple design makes it attractive to users so it has a good chance at taking more market shares in the future.

Thanks.:D

K__M

Jun 14, 2011
I like this browser some what.. but i still rely on Firefox for all my browsing :p

I did not install Chrome on my new PC, and am not sure if i need to, as Firefox has everything i need and all the addons and security i can desire.

I hope the best for Firefox, i have not been let down yet and i hope i will not be let down by Mozilla :).

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
My main beef with Firefox is that the interface is to customizable. An add-on is allowed to place its icon anywhere on the interface and change the interface if they want to. If you have a lot of add-ons it gets cluster#####y really quick.

Google has somehow gotten hold of the general population. Far more people i meet use Chrome over Firefox or IE. Even Joe Sixpack use it.

i think one of the reasons it's getting so popular is that Chrome holds a lot of geek-appeal. It's easy to use, is in constant development, and automatically updates. Especially that last part makes it easy for a fellow geek to recommend it to their grandmother. And the geeks are often the ones making the decisions for the people around them. :)

There are two main things that make me prefer Chrome over others: the Omnibar with Instant, and the New Tab page. I only want to look at my bookmarks when i need them and Chrome fills that need perfectly by only showing me the bookmarks bar and most used sites when i open a new tab.

Shadow Death

May 12, 2011
Ok.. Let me throw one thing out there... Hardware acceleration! It's reaching the point where sites are going to start needing it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Google Chrome holds everything that was Pros, from the test in HTML5 remains first, speed and so more. Google Chrome yet the fact is many like this browser, so the market share was continuously rise.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Shadow Death said:
Ok.. Let me throw one thing out there... Hardware acceleration! It's reaching the point where sites are going to start needing it.
Chrome 13 has it and you can enable it in the about:flags with previous versions/ for certain web elements. I have it on Chrome 14 and it works very well.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hungry Man said:
Shadow Death said:
Chrome 13 has it and you can enable it in the about:flags with previous versions/ for certain web elements. I have it on Chrome 14 and it works very well.
Their is no doubt that Google will add hardware acceleration for their stable browser in the near future, however only a few sites take advantage of that yet.
I'm a Chrome user for almost 2 years now and I must say I've got addicted to this browser . Why? It's clean and simple , it's very secure due to their sandboxing technique , it has all the add-ons that I need, it's fast and more importantly it has a great developing team which always seem to add new features , for instance I love the "Chrome Instant" , it's a great idea.

You guys, can also read a PCMAG article published yestarday in which they analyze this 3 browsers :p : Browser Wars: Chrome vs. IE9 vs. Firefox to see some statistics .

D

Deleted member 178

The sandboxing is with any chromium-based browsers or just Chrome? and in which version?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
From my conducted shortly research, chromium based browser like Comodo Dragon and SRWare Iron have already the sandbox technology since the core itself was chromium.

D

Deleted member 178

Good to know because i never saw this feature mentionned or maybe i missed it.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Chromium and Chrome are both the same except that:
1) Chrome has the Google branding and crash reports
2) Chrome has the autoupdater
3) Chrome supports a few extra codecs (WebM and some other one I forget... perhaps MP4)
4) Chrome has Flash built in**
5) Chrome has a PDF viewer built in

**The Flash player built in is patched by Google and sandboxed

Both browsers sandbox the Javascript renderer, tabs, and all other associated processes.

Some Chromium builds may have sandboxing turned off. Linux distros sometimes do not support it.

Jack said:
Hungry Man said:
Shadow Death said:
Their is no doubt that Google will add hardware acceleration for their stable browser in the near future, however only a few sites take advantage of that yet.
I'm a Chrome user for almost 2 years now and I must say I've got addicted to this browser . Why? It's clean and simple , it's very secure due to their sandboxing technique , it has all the add-ons that I need, it's fast and more importantly it has a great developing team which always seem to add new features , for instance I love the "Chrome Instant" , it's a great idea.

You guys, can also read a PCMAG article published yestarday in which they analyze this 3 browsers :p : Browser Wars: Chrome vs. IE9 vs. Firefox to see some statistics .
Thanks for the article. You should have a look at the Omnibox Instant prerendering.

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
I always preferred Firefox over Chrome, mainly because Chrome renders pages significantly more slowly than Firefox does and just like a few have mentioned here, several pages don't load correctly in Chrome. I only ever use Chrome on my other PC since Firefox is messed up (not my PC so not my fault :p).

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Hungry Man said:
Some Chromium builds may have sandboxing turned off. Linux distros sometimes do not support it.

Since Chromium for Linux accomplishes the bulk of the sandboxing task using seccomp, which is a feature built into the kernel, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't supported by any distributions.

Some builds may have had it disabled prior to Chromium's release because nobody really used it, but I would imagine that the browser has been out long enough that even the most slowly developed distros will have enabled it by now. (Assuming they had ever disabled it, and since there was never really any reason to disable it, it isn't likely that it was)

I could be wrong though. :blush:

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
I don't know of any distros that disable it. I only know that some distros have in the past disabled it and may still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.