Google Chrome Extension Malware

Infected operating system
macOS Monterey
Infected device issues
Browser redirects to Bing, ad pop-ups in separate window, Chrome failing and re-opening when I first launch it
Browsers affected by infection
  1. Chrome
Browser Settings: Homepage and Default Search Engine
Google
Browser extensions
None

eminem1124

Thread author
Mar 25, 2022
Hi I have a Mac and I accidentally downloaded something that I thought was a flashcard deck for studying but I guess was a virus. It seems to only be affecting Google Chrome. My browser keeps defaulting to Bing even though in settings it says Google. I even deleted all other browser options in my Default browser settings and it still redirects to Bing. Right before it goes to Bing it says gaminsearch.com in the browser. I also get random ads that pop up as a new window every hour. And when I first open up Chrome it crashes and then re-opens.

I tried looking at my extensions a few days ago on chrome settings but chrome://extensions/ and the extensions button on settings just keep redirecting to the main settings page. So I guess the virus was preventing me from getting to the extensions page. So then I just reset my settings and it let me access my extensions but there was nothing there. And then a couple days later there was an extension called properties so I deleted that but I'm still having the same problems. And now the same thing is happening where I can't even access the extensions page because it keeps redirecting back to settings. I tried downloading a couple Mac cleaner apps to see if the problem was with a virus on my computer but both of those apps didn't find anything and I also haven't seen any unrecognizable apps. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome using AppCleaner for Mac, which is like Revo. The redirecting to Bing doesn't happen on Incognito windows, but the ad window still pops up.

Any ideas of how to get rid of this problem would be much appreciated. Thank you.

byronbytes

Level 2
Mar 30, 2022
I'll try my best to help out, I don't use Macs but since it's an extension, it could be a simple fix.

Do you know how to access the Chrome Extensions directory using Finder? The path might be along the lines of
/Users/{your user here}/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Extensions
Once you're there, look around for any suspicious extensions and delete them manually if you find one.

To fix the Bing redirect, go to chrome://settings , then Search Engine and change this.
1649164459658.png

to any browser you want.

For me, I'm able to see all the settings here
1649164586262.png
, let me know if it shows differently foryou.

Reactions: [correlate]

thanlwin

May 16, 2022
Hi I have a Mac and I accidentally downloaded something that I thought was a flashcard deck for studying but I guess was a virus. It seems to only be affecting Google Chrome. My browser keeps defaulting to Bing even though in settings it says Google. I even deleted all other browser options in my Default browser settings and it still redirects to Bing. Right before it goes to Bing it says gaminsearch.com in the browser. I also get random ads that pop up as a new window every hour. And when I first open up Chrome it crashes and then re-opens.

I tried looking at my extensions a few days ago on chrome settings but chrome://extensions/ and the extensions button on settings just keep redirecting to the main settings page. So I guess the virus was preventing me from getting to the extensions page. So then I just reset my settings and it let me access my extensions but there was nothing there. And then a couple days later there was an extension called properties so I deleted that but I'm still having the same problems. And now the same thing is happening where I can't even access the extensions page because it keeps redirecting back to settings. I tried downloading a couple Mac cleaner apps to see if the problem was with a virus on my computer but both of those apps didn't find anything and I also haven't seen any unrecognizable apps. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome using AppCleaner for Mac, which is like Revo. The redirecting to Bing doesn't happen on Incognito windows, but the ad window still pops up.

Any ideas of how to get rid of this problem would be much appreciated. Thank you.
I have the same problem but i am on window. Let me know if there was a solultion found

thanlwin

May 16, 2022

Hey I downloaded malwarebytes and i ran the security check and it found the problem and restarted my pc. after that that problem is gone.

eminem1124

Thread author
Mar 25, 2022
I have the same problem but i am on window. Let me know if there was a solultion found
I had just got a new Mac and it was within the 2 week return window so I just returned it and after getting a new one everything was fixed. So I'm assuming the virus was on the actual computer and not just google chrome? Hope u can find a solution.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.