Google Chrome, Iridium, Dragon, and Iron Browsers

If Chrome phones home more often then other browsers, which would you use, and find just as secure?

• I use SRWare Iron, as it is more secure, and transmits less.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use Iridium, as this is more secure, and transmits less.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
All the other browsers, SRWare Iron, Iridium, Comodo Dragon are often said to be safer, and more secure than Google Chrome as they claim to not transmit or phone home unnecessary telemetry.

From your own experiences, which one of these lives up to that reputation, and have you decided to use?

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Chrome because of stability, speed, compatibility reasons.

But I use the following command line switches.

--disable-background-networking --disable-component-extensions-with-background-pages --dns-prefetch-disable --no-pings --disable-logging

Sounds good. Could you tell me where to insert these switches? Thanks for the support.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Sounds good. Could you tell me where to insert these switches? Thanks for the support.

ForgottenSeer 58943, I took all these command line switches, and added them to the end of the Target in Chromes Shortcut, after the final closing quotation ". Clicked apply, and and no problem. I am assuming that these enhance the browser or as they say "harden the browser" ? Thanks

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I have taken Slyguys suggestions and added the command line switches to Chrome.

I have Firefox(x64bit) on my machine and use it on occasion but always found Chrome to be faster. They also say that the devs patch vulnerabilities faster.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
dragon with cf10@cs why not? no idea yet if dragon has less telemetry than chrome. not sure if dragon is better, but my experience it doesn't seem worse. I also have slimjet. will look into ForgottenSeer 58943's cmd -switches. (run centos_firefox on my linux box & opera | safari on my macbook | edge on my w10)

EDIT: I forgot I use chrome on my chromebook ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: spaceoctopus

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I have taken Slyguys suggestions and added the command line switches to Chrome.

I have Firefox(x64bit) on my machine and use it on occasion but always found Chrome to be faster. They also say that the devs patch vulnerabilities faster.
Actually, besides Mozilla-based, most Chromium-based and Chrome browsers are fast if you use Google search engine, with minimum extensions and with speed tweaking of the browsers

As far as security patches are concerned Chrome and Chromium are at the forefront. The rest are usually behind.

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
Many browsers have their portable version too eg Chrome, Chromium, Iridium, Ungoogled Chromium, Opera, FF, Waterfox etc

chrome : google chrome, not interested.

chromium : zip folder portable, not to my liking / .paf portable zemana blocks it.

iridium : zip folder portable, not to my liking.

ungoogled chromium : zip folder portable, not to my liking.

opera : i got / like / use this, single .exe file which is why i keep it. i do not want a portable with a 7z / .zip folder to save on my disk.

firefox : portable from portable apps, not interested.

waterfox : 64 bit only.

comodo browsers : single .exe file can be made portable by just checking a box during installation, simply brilliant.

if you know of a portable browser with a single self-executing .exe file like maxthon nitro / qtweb, please do let me know.

privacy what privacy I am using Windows 10 and android phone so privacy is out of question

very well said rps :)

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.