Solved Google Chrome Pop-Up Malware

clee920

New Member
As noted in describing the symptoms, I seem to have pop-up maleware. It affects Google Chrome most but it does try to open other browsers when Chrome is uninstalled as well. It opens the browser when it's closed, or when the browser is open the maleware opens new tabs. When Chrome is uninstalled, because there isn't a program associated with it any longer, it opens the dialogue window asking me which app I'd like to use to open it.
 

Attachments

The symptom date was around March 4th. It ended up looking like a fraction in the initial message. I've also downloaded autoruns to try and identify any suspicious activity but since I'm not exactly sure what to look for even when combing through individual entries, I didn't make any changes.
 
Hello,


FRST.gif
Fix with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

icon_exclaim.gif
This fix was created for this user for use on that particular machine.
icon_exclaim.gif

icon_exclaim.gif
Running it on another one may cause damage and render the system unstable.
icon_exclaim.gif
​

Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop:

Both files, FRST and fixlist.txt have to be in the same location or the fix will not work!

  • Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  • When finishes FRST will generate a log on the Desktop, called Fixlog.txt.

Please attach it to your reply.


After you are done with the fix, you will find Date|Time zip archive on your Desktop. Please upload it to Free large file hosting. Send big files the easy way! and give me the download link here.
 

Attachments

I ran Malwarebytes again and it found 9 items. They were quarantined and then deleted from the scan but I've attached a picture of what it found.Untitled.jpg
 
There hasn't been any pop-ups through the night so it seems to be better. I'll leave my computer running to be sure. If the symptoms should return, what would be your suggestion?
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top