Battle Google Drive VS Microsoft OneDrive

reystar

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 4, 2014
Which one is your favorite guys and why?
Been using Dropbox myself for years, it's very good but too expensive..

I am using Google Drive right now and i can say it's a tad clunky, i am considering moving over to OneDrive

I also like the fact that i can get too much space on OneDrive with Microsoft 365 now for my whole family...

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
OneDrive is my favorite hands down, especially if you need to handle documents. I have a family Office subscription, and it indeed grants a total of 5TB for a very reasonable price -- not to mention the Office apps themselves. Since I need Office, that combination for me is a must.

Google Drive isn't exactly bad, but "a tad clunky" as you put it. In some situations that's not even half the story. For example, I have an Excel spreadsheet with a macro in it; but the macro doesn't work with Google Sheets. If that were not enough, when you download the file and open it in Excel, you find it has been modified (even though I hadn't saved it as Google Sheets) and you've lost the macro functionality. To add insult to injury, protected cells also aren't respected by Google Sheets.

I can't compare it to Dropbox as a cloud storage service, because I've never actually used Dropbox. But I can say OneDrive works well enough for me, and I'd recommend it for that.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
If you have Microsoft 365 then OneDrive because of its ransomware protection.
See recent post on this forum with ransomware infected and synchronized with Google Drive.

Fuzzy_Bunny

Level 4
Sep 19, 2019
I would like to know why dont you delete them since you watched it? what you do with them?

Old classic movies and tv shows. It's hard to find them on torrent sites. I prefer to pay for onedrive than netflix/hulu/disney/other stream services to get movies and shows i like.
My kids also love to watch them. My son loves to watch Frasier, Seinfeld and Married with children.
I also have about 1TB of documentaries which are always nice to watch.

F

ForgottenSeer 78429

I have used Onedrive free and Google Drive both. Google drive for 10 days and Onedrive (5 GB) for 3-4 months. Onedrive is better than Google Drive that's what i feel because it integrates better than Google Drive on windows and android app is really good. However currently I am using Tresorit free version 5GB cloud storage with zero knowledge encryption and many other features. Its desktop client works awesome and android app is good too.

miguelang611

Level 2
Apr 13, 2020
I almost lost all my files while using OneDrive.
I shared my whole Documents folder on OneDrive. The original Windows folder disappeared and instead it was found on Users/OneDrive/Documents. I decided to stop using it, and removed account and uninstalled OneDrive --> Result? It deleted ALL the files I got.
Fortunately, I had just synced everything on MEGA and I could recover everything. If I hadn´t use MEGA I would have lost everything.
For me, it is a enoughly big reason to say no to OneDrive. I want a sync tool that doesn't mess up my folders, and specially, that doesn't delete my data if I stop using it.
Then my vote goes for Google Drive

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I use both. On one Drive, ( I have 40G) I make a backup of My Documents and use the Personnal Vault for a few documents. A zip file of many documents counts as one document so it's useful because the free limit is three. On Google drive, I send pictures and videos. I also use Google Photos as a backup for my Iphone.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.