Battle Google Drive VS Microsoft OneDrive

reystar

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 4, 2014
Which one is your favorite guys and why?
Been using Dropbox myself for years, it's very good but too expensive..

I am using Google Drive right now and i can say it's a tad clunky, i am considering moving over to OneDrive

I also like the fact that i can get too much space on OneDrive with Microsoft 365 now for my whole family...

reystar

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 4, 2014
I almost lost all my files while using OneDrive.
I shared my whole Documents folder on OneDrive. The original Windows folder disappeared and instead it was found on Users/OneDrive/Documents. I decided to stop using it, and removed account and uninstalled OneDrive --> Result? It deleted ALL the files I got.
Fortunately, I had just synced everything on MEGA and I could recover everything. If I hadn´t use MEGA I would have lost everything.
For me, it is a enoughly big reason to say no to OneDrive. I want a sync tool that doesn't mess up my folders, and specially, that doesn't delete my data if I stop using it.
Then my vote goes for Google Drive
i am sure you could restore them..did you try to?

miguelang611

Level 2
Apr 13, 2020
i am sure you could restore them..did you try to?
Pretty sure I couldn't. Worse thing is I reinstalled OneDrive and since the mess it made with folders it wasn't even able to restore the backup cloud files... And even worse, since I had topped the 5 GB limit, I had like 9 GB, if I hadn't use MEGA, those would have been permanently lost
I guess/hope they have fixed it, but hey, it won't be me the one who tries again 😂
(Even though I have O365 account with 1 TB)

Reactions: Protomartyr

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I almost lost all my files while using OneDrive.
I shared my whole Documents folder on OneDrive. The original Windows folder disappeared and instead it was found on Users/OneDrive/Documents. I decided to stop using it, and removed account and uninstalled OneDrive --> Result? It deleted ALL the files I got.
Fortunately, I had just synced everything on MEGA and I could recover everything. If I hadn´t use MEGA I would have lost everything.
For me, it is a enoughly big reason to say no to OneDrive. I want a sync tool that doesn't mess up my folders, and specially, that doesn't delete my data if I stop using it.
Then my vote goes for Google Drive
Well this is an unfortunate combination of user error and the lack of proper documentation of Microsoft.
When you let OneDrive backup the folders on your computer, the (desktop, pictures, documents) folders are moved to a new (OneDrive) location on your computer. Before removing OneDrive, you should have put those files back to their old location.
You also must not enable the function "Files On-Demand" because then not all your files are on your computer.
I discovered that when using file history for backup and it didn't backup my files.
Next to a cloud-based backup method it is also wise to have another form of backup (external HDD or something like that).

miguelang611

Level 2
Apr 13, 2020
Well this is an unfortunate combination of user error and the lack of proper documentation of Microsoft.
When you let OneDrive backup the folders on your computer, the (desktop, pictures, documents) folders are moved to a new (OneDrive) location on your computer. Before removing OneDrive, you should have put those files back to their old location.
You also must not enable the function "Files On-Demand" because then not all your files are on your computer.
I discovered that when using file history for backup and it didn't backup my files.
Next to a cloud-based backup method it is also wise to have another form of backup (external HDD or something like that).
Well, not an user error if I don't touch the default config, it shouldn't be replaced by any mean... Specially if you don't give any instruction at all.
If Microsoft doesn't say anything, how should I know it is gonna do that? If they show a warning then no issue, but anyways... If 4 GB aren't backed up, why the hell would you delete them?? No way of justifying that.
I have tried other cloud platforms, none replace your user folders. None delete your files if removed. Then, objectively OneDrive is worse than Google Drive for example, just because of the risks u assume while usig it :unsure: (Imagine I hadn't use MEGA, I almost had a heart attack lol)
I mean, OneDrive is good if you make a large backup and upload manually, but not for everyday use... (At least for me)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.