Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Google has a hard time managing and branding its communication apps and services. Rumors about the Hangouts app being killed off have been circulating for the past two years, and even though Meet and Duo started off as relatively distinct services, both have a lot of overlapping functionality now. To tackle the latter problem, Google has now announced that it is merging the two products in a single, unified app.

The transition process is a bit confusing, though. First, all Meet features will be migrated to Duo, and then later this year, Duo will be rebranded to Meet. This will act as Google's single video communication service for customers, available at no cost.

As part of the feature migration process, the following capabilities will be added to the Duo app starting from this month:
  • Schedule meetings so everyone can join at a time that’s convenient for them
  • In-meeting chat for deeper engagement
  • Live share content to enable interaction with all participants on the call
  • Get real-time closed captions to better support accessibility and boost participation Increase size of video calls from a current limit of 32 to 100 participants
  • Integrate with other tools, including Gmail, Google Calendar, Assistant, Messages and more

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I like Duo. Its simple with good quality calls. I fear this will ruin it considering Google's history of split, merge, reintroduce, kill etc.
Maybe it was a bad idea for me to use Duo all along but it had the best call quality among Android apps.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.