Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

-------------------
Google has just wrapped up its San Francisco event and it was full of exciting new devices and software presentations. The most important announcement was by far the unveiling of the Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones, developed with HTC.

At first glance, the design of the smartphones is truly impressive with glass covering the front and upper part of the back. The phones are made of aluminum and come with a rear fingerprint scanner.

Pixel and Pixel XL will be made available in three color variants, Quite Black, Very Silver, and Really Blue. The last color option will be available only in the US and Google will be offering live cases in the Play Store.

Pixel has a 5.0-inch display, Pixel XL has a 5.5-inch QHD AMOLED screen
Google Pixel will have a smaller display of 5.0 inches. The FHD AMOLED screen comes with 441ppi pixel density and 2.5D Corning Gorilla Glass 4. The Pixel XL, on the other hand, will feature a 5.5-inch QHD AMOLED display with 534ppi pixel density and the same Corning Gorilla Glass 4 protection.

Pixel will measure 143.8 x 69.5 x 7.3 ~ 8.5 mm, while the Pixel XL will be larger in size at 154.7 x 75.7 x 7.3 ~ 8.5 mm.

Moving on to power, Pixel will come with a 2,770mAh battery that’s said to last for up to 19 days on standby and 26 hours of talk time. Pixel XL’s battery is obviously larger at 3,450mAh and will offer users up to 32 hours of talk time.

Google says Pixel and Pixel XL have the best rear camera featured on a smartphone

Both devices have 4GB of RAM and are provided in 32GB or 128GB of internal storage variants. Moreover, they will run a quad-core Snapdragon 821 processor and have 12.3MP rear cameras with 1.55μm, PDAF, LDAF and f/2.0 aperture. Front camera capacity reaches 8MP with 1.4µm, f/2.4 aperture, and fixed focus.

Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/goog...vailable-for-prices-starting-649-508947.shtml

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Now see, Samsung and LG run about that price range and it's not too bad.
Maybe it's just me but I am not paying that for a HTC phone, no way.
Gonna be good to see how the rest in the U.S. feel about this now that its out
the sales numbers will now speak for them selves.
Cool Share Jack

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
When you think about the "quality" of the phone you can get
from Samsung or LG for that price, HTC is not even in the same
league. I don't know how HTC is viewed in the global market, but
here it's not even a top 5 phone. If google thinks that it will sell
for that in the US they are going to be very sad. slapping that
"G" on it may help a little. I was interested in this phone too and
seeing it was an HTC I thought it would be better priced to contend
with the likes of Samsung and LG, Google has lost their collective minds :)

Reactions: DardiM and SHvFl

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Looking at the features and specs, I would buy. The only reason is because of the latest update on the Android Version and it will be always up-to-date compared to the other phone company.

But the performance wise and battery usage, especially the heating issue, I would take a second thought first.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I think the starting price is okay. The price will always come down once people start buying the new Google Phone. I'm keen to see more reviews before I go out and buy one myself.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Design & Interface is very appealing however i will stick with my S7 for a few more years. :D
Or until it explodes. ;):p

I must admit this is a nice phone and very good specs but i don't pay this amount of money for a phone because i simply don't need it. I have an LG G3 and i will keep it until it breaks.

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
In my opinion the pixel biggest real advantages are:
-you get OS updates
-you get security updates
-it's not loaded with blotware

Now, is it revolutionary, does it have great sound, is it water resistant/proof...?
Is it worth 900 usd (with 2 y warranty)?
I think NO.
You can buy 2 laptops, or one top desktop....
The bad part is that also Google will probably only offer updates for 2 years.
Do I want to (be somehow forced ) to buy a new phone every 2 years and to spend 900+(will be higher every time) to be able to get updates?
NO
We also have to consider that other offer similar phones for 30-40% less...you get some bloatware, maybe and won't be sure if they are spying you but still, they manage to sell them at 30, 40 % less.
For 900 usd I expect way more..water resistant /proof, stereo pure sound, to be able to get OS and security updates for many years (at least for 5-6).

Update:
http://m.gsmarena.com/confirmed_goo...ip53_dust_and_water_resistance-news-20903.php

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The price maybe acceptable, cause its meant to play against Apple Iphone 7 and other counterparts.

The features are already indeed fantastic + as mentioned by others where latest updates can be retrieved easily.

Remember the price should align on what are the qualities it contains.

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
The price maybe acceptable, cause its meant to play against Apple Iphone 7 and other counterparts.

The features are already indeed fantastic + as mentioned by others where latest updates can be retrieved easily.

Remember the price should align on what are the qualities it contains.

399 usd for 5.5-inch 1080p touchscreen, a 16 MP rear camera with f/2.0 aperture, phase detection autofocus, and dual-tone LED flash, an 8 MP selfie snapper, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 chipset at the helm, 4GB of RAM, 64GB of storage, a fingerprint scanner on the back, a USB Type-C port (and no 3.5mm headset jack), and a 4,070 mAh battery...is a super price!
On 2/11 you might get one for 2.99 usd!
Pixel starts at 649 usd

..bad part is it runs Android 6.0 Marshmallow, probably some bloatware, not sure about os/security updates....but 399 or 299 is an incredible price and we shouldn't pay extra to get updates, it should be standard, our "right" as consumers.

Why can't we easily download an official Android version and install it on our older phones as we do with e.g windows?
I indtalled win 10 on a 2005 pc with 0 problems, why can't I "format" and/or update my S4?o_O

Last edited:

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
$649 as starting price? Here in Canada it's $900... I honestly would love to buy one. It's the logical upgrade to my current Nexus 5 but it's just way too expensive. What I might do is wait a year (so my Nexus 5 will be 4 years old), see if the price dropped a bit, then sell my Nexus 5 and buy it. Or it might be time for me to switch (LG G or HTC M, maybe even a OnePlus...).

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
$649 as starting price? Here in Canada it's $900... I honestly would love to buy one. It's the logical upgrade to my current Nexus 5 but it's just way too expensive. What I might do is wait a year (so my Nexus 5 will be 4 years old), see if the price dropped a bit, then sell my Nexus 5 and buy it. Or it might be time for me to switch (LG G or HTC M, maybe even a OnePlus...).

Pixel - The First Phone by Google - Google Store

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
xyyi1gp.png

"À partir de" is "Starting at".

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.