Technology Google Play System Update for January 2024 breaks Pixels storage access

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
After updating to the January 2024 Google Play system update (which is different from the January 5, 2024 security update/patch), users report not being able to access data stored in internal storage across all apps. This results in various cascading issues, like not being able to play downloaded audio/video files or take new pictures, while the Files app appears empty. Other apps refuse to work.

This sounds similar to last year’s issue that impacted devices with multiple users enabled. However, the culprit today appears to be having that Google Play system update installed.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
It's almost hard to believe this is happening again, but Pixel users are reporting that an OS update has locked them out of their phones' internal storage, causing app crashes, non-functional phones, and a real possibility of data loss. Over in the Google Pixel subreddit, user "Liv-Lyf" compiled a dozen posts that complain of an "internal storage access issue" and blame the January 2024 Google Play system update.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Google fired all the QA employees.

Last year, the January 2023 patch broke Bluetooth connectivity for Pixel phones.

Garbage updates for hardware they created.

scorpionv

Level 2
Apr 20, 2020
Google fired all the QA employees.

Last year, the January 2023 patch broke Bluetooth connectivity for Pixel phones.

Garbage updates for hardware they created.

Too bad. Google Pixel is a decent alternative to China phones, but it just needs to work properly. As Samsung is doing great with software updates nowadays, I'll reconsider my buying options for my next phone. Apple iPhone (software) is not my cup of tea alas, because Apple excels in both hardware and software update policy.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Too bad. Google Pixel is a decent alternative to China phones, but it just needs to work properly. As Samsung is doing great with software updates nowadays, I'll reconsider my buying options for my next phone. Apple iPhone (software) is not my cup of tea alas, because Apple excels in both hardware and software update policy.
Other than the Samsung Galaxy S-series for best in class performance and updates policy, there are not any options.

Samsung devices come with their own forced ecosystem of apps, and a not-so-favorable Privacy Policy to update Galaxy apps. This can be a deal-breaker.

Google fumbles every year with the Pixel.

scorpionv

Level 2
Apr 20, 2020
Samsung devices come with their own forced ecosystem of apps, and a not-so-favorable Privacy Policy to update Galaxy apps. This can be a deal-breaker.
This is the exact reason why I dislike Samsung. Everything needs to look and feel like... Samsung, which has nothing to do with stock Android.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I'm using a Pixel now, it works well for me. I don't need it to be welded to my hand 24/7, just phone calls once in awhile, checking texts and emails, web browsing occasionally. I refuse to use a Samsung or Apple phone for reasons I do not need to get into now.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Im still stuck on november patch, glad to see im not impacted by this then? :unsure:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.