Google Safe Browsing rejects WinPatrol

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I had just opened up Chromodo, when WinPatrol flagged up a 'New or changed startup program' window. As I wasn't sure where it'd come from I clicked on the 'Plus Info...' button. there I got a complete surprise when Google Safe Browsing wouldn't allow me to go to WinPatrol.

Well 1. I was fairly put out that Google Safe Browsing is there in the background somewhere, that I don't even know anything about. And 2. of course I was surprised and alarmed at the info it flagged up about winPatrol.

Further then I went straight to winpatrol.com and I get the same red alarm page. What on earth is this all about?

Apologies if this is 'old news'. Admins if this is in the wrong section please move as you wish.

Cheers, Chigwells.

Attachments

• 2015-08-14-WinPatrol ALERT_ New or Changed Program - Startup Program.png
    2015-08-14-WinPatrol ALERT_ New or Changed Program - Startup Program.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 298
  • 2015-08-14-Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for winpatrol.com - Chromodo.png
    2015-08-14-Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for winpatrol.com - Chromodo.png
    103.8 KB · Views: 426
  • 2015-08-14-Security error - Chromodo.png
    2015-08-14-Security error - Chromodo.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 378
Reactions: Av Gurus

NZRADAR

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 8, 2013
Hi Everyone,

I had just opened up Chromodo, when WinPatrol flagged up a 'New or changed startup program' window. As I wasn't sure where it'd come from I clicked on the 'Plus Info...' button. there I got a complete surprise when Google Safe Browsing wouldn't allow me to go to WinPatrol.

Well 1. I was fairly put out that Google Safe Browsing is there in the background somewhere, that I don't even know anything about. And 2. of course I was surprised and alarmed at the info it flagged up about winPatrol.

Further then I went straight to winpatrol.com and I get the same red alarm page. What on earth is this all about?

Apologies if this is 'old news'. Admins if this is in the wrong section please move as you wish.

Cheers, Chigwells.

Hi there
I found the same warning with Firefox warning about proceeding . A check with virustotal and triggering a scan with Sucuri SiteCheck scanner and Quttera Research Labs shows that they are flagged because of an outdated Wordpress stating WordPress Under 4.2

I also note Blueliv flagged winpatrol website as malicious though I don't know what there criteria was for that.

Http of winpatrol site gets 3 warnings
Https of winpatrol site gets 2 warnings

That is all I've managed to gather about it as well as virustotal scan of todays winpatrol setup from there own website
1 detection by
Bkav HW32.Packed.F89B

and
Advanced heuristic and reputation engines by
TrendMicro's heuristic engine has flagged this file as: Suspicious_GEN.F47V0807.
Symantec reputation Suspicious.Insight

Cheers :)

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It could be a false positive, but if you read the information from your second screenshot, Google provides details to why the site has potentially been blocked.

If you believe the site is safe to visit, disregarding the warning is done at your own risk.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/d...de349cba38caf811cb0a174a/analysis/1439555003/
https://app.webinspector.com/public/tasks/36993871
https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/winpatrol.com/ - Flagged
Code:
<meta name="generator" content="WordPress 4.1.7" />

* Sucuri
upload_2015-8-14_13-28-25.png

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.