GoSave Conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex

Thread author
Sep 24, 2014
My computer contracted a virus possibly when I was downloading torrents? not really sure. When I install programs I'm sure I read through the Setups to check if there are any additional software that are being installed such as toolbars or .mp3 converters and whatnot. I dont remember installing the GoSave extension on chrome, I've tried removing it through Chrome and through the Control Panel, even though it says its uninstalled, I find it back where it was anyway.

I hope I provided enuf info.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    40.9 KB · Views: 187
  • FRST.txt
    166.2 KB · Views: 88

Rex

Thread author
Sep 24, 2014
So I managed to solve this problem myself. For those who have the same situation, you can either try my process or seek help from the professionals of this website. I recommend the 2nd option.

Anyway, I use Win8.1-64bit
and here's how I did it:

>So I've tried deleting certain files that are associated with the GoSave Ad thingy. Firstly, I deleted an empty folder "GoSavie" located in ProgramFiles and another one "Trusted Publisher" located in ProgramData. I tried deleting a folder "GS_Booster" and failed, but i knew this was part of it.

>Next, I installed a free version of Ad-aware and quick-scanned the comp.

>It detected AND deleted .dll files under the GS_Booster folder and one other file somewhere else (im guessing somewhere under AppData) i forgot sorry.

>If you're using chrome, use the file explorer to go to C:\Users\(Rex)\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions and you will find folders labelled in jibberish, I deleted all of them since i had no other extension besides GoSave

(another way to access these files, simply go to your browser settings>extensions and you might find filepaths for the extensions that are installed)

>After deleting these files, I disabled and deleted the GoSave extension under Chrome's Settings and it never came back again.

Hope this helps

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Since this issue appears to be resolved, I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please contact me or any staff member with the address of the thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.