Troubleshoot GTX1070 limited perfromance

Ahmed Uchiha

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 5, 2021
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
low GPU performance
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I tried to install fresh copy of windows 10 and 11 tried to rollback to old drivers then newest and latest drivers but, no luck
Hello,
I am having issue with my GPU it's not working very well as before I noticed that MSI after burner showing that there is voltage limit I tried to increase the core voltage but, still the warning didn't go away.
please help me diagnose this issue.

Reactions: Sorrento

Ahmed Uchiha

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 5, 2021
here is a screenshot that might help you to find out the issue.

Attachments

• Voltage.png
    Voltage.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 200
Upvote 0

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Are you running the latest version of Afterburner? If you have custom settings in Afterburner, I would export those and then completely uninstall it, using something like Revo or HiBit to get all the remnants afterward. Then reinstall the latest version of Afterburner and import your settings that you backed up already.

It is best to rule out software before unfortunately turning to possible hardware causes. However, your screenshot indicates the gpu temperature is pretty OK in-game (65 deg C). Have you noticed any thermal events recently? Also, what is the make and model of your power supply? How old is it?

Upvote 0

Ahmed Uchiha

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 5, 2021
Are you running the latest version of Afterburner? If you have custom settings in Afterburner, I would export those and then completely uninstall it, using something like Revo or HiBit to get all the remnants afterward. Then reinstall the latest version of Afterburner and import your settings that you backed up already.

It is best to rule out software before unfortunately turning to possible hardware causes. However, your screenshot indicates the gpu temperature is pretty OK in-game (65 deg C). Have you noticed any thermal events recently? Also, what is the make and model of your power supply? How old is it?

I tried to max power limit and voltage limit the frames improved a little bit but, still can't get the same frames as it was in 2016 first released I don't know if Nvidia caused this by downgrading old GPUs to force me to buy new one or what.
I use this PSU: cooler master Silent Pro M2 850 W

in some games the GPU refuse to work with full usage I don't know why but, this causes very low frame rate.

I attached GPU Z logs it might help you understand my issue.

Attachments

• GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt
    10.8 MB · Views: 125
Upvote 0

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I don't know if Nvidia caused this by downgrading old GPUs to force me to buy new one or what.
This would be grounds for a major class-action lawsuit if NVIDIA or any tech firm did that. Remember when Apple did that with some old phone models?

Anyway. I have a 6 year old gtx 1080--similar to your gpu--and it does not have this power throttling issue. Then again, I do not use MSI Afterburner, only RTSS. How old is your power supply? Did you back up your AFT settings? What would happen if you set AFT back to default settings?

What I suggest is to get a rough idea of what the 12 volt rail is getting in terms of power. If you can get a volt meter from somewhere, that would be ideal. Do you use HWiNFO? If you do, next time you're in-game, set your overlay to include the GPU rail voltages/ PCIe +12 volt Input voltage. Or, you can look at the standing voltages under your motherboard's heading in HWiNFO but I don't think that's going to give the full picture. For example:

hwin.png

You (or someone) can also try another psu to verify--if this is a doable thing. Edit: You can search this issue online also and see what turns up. For example: one source suggested to turn g-sync/v-sync off in the NV control panel If you have that, try setting all to defaults.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
...the frames improved a little bit but, still can't get the same frames as it was in 2016 first released....
About how many frames are we talking about? Like 2016 it was 250 now its 30?
And is the problem with every game or only with one?
Depending on the game there are still some games out there that are CPU depended more than GPU. So the GPU wouldn't do 100% (because it's not needed).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ahmed Uchiha

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 5, 2021
This would be grounds for a major class-action lawsuit if NVIDIA or any tech firm did that. Remember when Apple did that with some old phone models?

Anyway. I have a 6 year old gtx 1080--similar to your gpu--and it does not have this power throttling issue. Then again, I do not use MSI Afterburner, only RTSS. How old is your power supply? Did you back up your AFT settings? What would happen if you set AFT back to default settings?

What I suggest is to get a rough idea of what the 12 volt rail is getting in terms of power. If you can get a volt meter from somewhere, that would be ideal. Do you use HWiNFO? If you do, next time you're in-game, set your overlay to include the GPU rail voltages/ PCIe +12 volt Input voltage. Or, you can look at the standing voltages under your motherboard's heading in HWiNFO but I don't think that's going to give the full picture. For example:

You (or someone) can also try another psu to verify--if this is a doable thing. Edit: You can search this issue online also and see what turns up. For example: one source suggested to turn g-sync/v-sync off in the NV control panel If you have that, try setting all to defaults.
Thank you for your reply,
my power supply is very old it's 850 watt 80+ silver semi modular from cooler master my GPU has led indicator that light up when no enough power delivered to the card so, I think it's working normal I guess.

for MSI after burner I removed it with revo uninstaller to reset everything to default settings but, still same issue with the card.

some people online advice flashing GPU BIOS but, it seems very risky.

About how many frames are we talking about? Like 2016 it was 250 now its 30?
And is the problem with every game or only with one?
Depending on the game there are still some games out there that are CPU depended more than GPU. So the GPU wouldn't do 100% (because it's not needed).
in many games including old ones game like Black ops 3 I was getting about 180 FPS on 1080P now I am getting 70 by maximum and it doesn't matter if I play on 1080P or 1440P the GPU utilization stays at 60% and get same FPS

Screenshot 2022-07-03 170648.png

Upvote 0
L

Local Host

You messing with settings you shouldn't considering your tech knownledge, you just overclocked your GPU voltage to insane levels, probably damaging it in the process, and now you trying to damage the CPU too?

As for your performance issues, ignoring the GPU damage you may have already done, you need to perform maintainance on it, clean the dust, change pads and thermal paste, seems you thermal throttled, and with you increasing the voltage and clocks in that state is not helping...

That CPU is more than enough for that game on Ultra settings without the need to mess with it's clocks, same goes for GPU, don't let the others mislead you saying you CPU bottlenecked cause you not, Battlefield takes good advantage of Ryzen, it performs better than Intel in that game.

Honestly you can get over 100FPS on the newer Battlefield game with that CPU on max settings, so I assure the CPU is not the issue.

Reset MSI Afterburner to default settings and uninstall it, re-install your GPU drivers with DDU as well, then take that PC to someone with tech knownledge to clean your PC.

Upvote 0

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Some more thoughts:

Can you borrow someone else's gpu and install it to see if the same type of thing happens there?
Did you use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) when changing drivers?
Did you make any changes in the NVIDIA control panel under 3D settings?

PS I just saw LocalHost's post and agree with the message. Pls uninstall MSI Afterburner for now and monitor with RTSS and HWiNFO64. You can build an onscreen display by using the gear setting in HWiNFO and then going to the RTSS tab.

Upvote 0

Ahmed Uchiha

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 5, 2021
You messing with settings you shouldn't considering your tech knownledge, you just overclocked your GPU voltage to insane levels, probably damaging it in the process, and now you trying to damage the CPU too?

As for your performance issues, ignoring the GPU damage you may have already done, you need to perform maintainance on it, clean the dust, change pads and thermal paste, seems you thermal throttled, and with you increasing the voltage and clocks in that state is not helping...

That CPU is more than enough for that game on Ultra settings without the need to mess with it's clocks, same goes for GPU, don't let the others mislead you saying you CPU bottlenecked cause you not, Battlefield takes good advantage of Ryzen, it performs better than Intel in that game.

Honestly you can get over 100FPS on the newer Battlefield game with that CPU on max settings, so I assure the CPU is not the issue.

Reset MSI Afterburner to default settings and uninstall it, re-install your GPU drivers with DDU as well, then take that PC to someone with tech knownledge to clean your PC.
Hello, thank you for your reply.
I am running default settings and I didn't overclock my CPU I even reinstalled windows and I didn't install MSI afterburner or any third party app only Nvidia drivers and AMD chipset driver.

I don't know what exactly causing this issue my GPU in 2016 was hitting above 100 FPS with 6600K CPU but, after meltdown and spectre vulnerability BIOS update it's performance dropped by huge amount and I can see it is always running at 100% utilization after few years I upgraded to Ryzen 3700X (current build) to get highest performance from the card it was working well except Battlefield V there were some FPS drop and every year I can see that my GPU is degrading until this year I noticed it can't run games as it was before.

Some more thoughts:

Can you borrow someone else's gpu and install it to see if the same type of thing happens there?
Did you use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) when changing drivers?
Did you make any changes in the NVIDIA control panel under 3D settings?

PS I just saw LocalHost's post and agree with the message. Pls uninstall MSI Afterburner for now and monitor with RTSS and HWiNFO64. You can build an onscreen display by using the gear setting in HWiNFO and then going to the RTSS tab.
unfortunately I have no access to any other GPU no one will lend me one.
I even tried to install fresh copy of windows multiple times reverting to windows 10 didn't work either.
I use default settings in Nvidia control panel.
I uninstalled MSI after burner completely and I am now using Nvidia performance overlay to monitor performance.

my PSU is very old : Amazon.co.uk
but, it was getting the job done I don't know if it is degrading too or what.

but, I didn't overclock my GPU if I increased the power limit in MSI afterburner I reset everything to default. I don't have knowledge about voltage and other stuff.
if you noticed that my GPU voltage very high above normal and this is what causing this issue please let me know what to do to return them back to normal.
for the CPU I didn't overclock it or do anything to it because it is running on stock cooler so, I don't mess with it.

some people suggest to flash the VBIOS to fix the GPU voltage limit and unlock it's performance but, I don't have any experience about this thing.
so, I am seeking help from you and other experts here in the forum.

Upvote 0
L

Local Host

but, I didn't overclock my GPU if I increased the power limit in MSI afterburner I reset everything to default. I don't have knowledge about voltage and other stuff.
if you noticed that my GPU voltage very high above normal and this is what causing this issue please let me know what to do to return them back to normal.
for the CPU I didn't overclock it or do anything to it because it is running on stock cooler so, I don't mess with it.

some people suggest to flash the VBIOS to fix the GPU voltage limit and unlock it's performance but, I don't have any experience about this thing.
so, I am seeking help from you and other experts here in the forum.
You overlocked the GPU when you messed with limits in MSI Afterburner, you also don't wanna use any vBIOS to touch those limits.
View attachment 267854
The GPU can't handle games very well as before.
the performance dropped by huge amount and I don't know why.
That is a clear performance downgrade, and considering this is NVidia we talking here and an old GTX 1070 you can look at the drivers as well.

You wanna uninstall the drivers with DDU, and re-install the latest drivers from NVidia. Use the GeForce Experience to optimize your game, and run the game from the GeForce Experience.

You're not the first to report performance issues with the GTX 1070, this issue dates back to 6 years ago.

• Applause
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.