Hailua's Config - My opinion about security

H

hjlbx

Hello Hailua,

Just some suggestions ...

ESET covers a lot of ground, but you may want to consider the following as they are proposed with the novice in mind:
  • Activate UAC - default setting
  • Add an on-demand second opinion scanner - I suggest MalwareBytes free
  • Since you use Microsoft Office consider adding an anti-exploit - I suggest MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit free (set and forget)
  • Add the LastPass free password manager plug-in to Chrome - if you have many passwords
  • Finally, an incremental backup solution would be useful - AOMEI free will do everything you would need
  • A simple system optimizer/cleaner will do - CCleaner is widely recommended
Seems like a lot, but really it is not.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you, Hailua, for sharing you configuration.
3 of hjlbx's valuable tips came to me directly from @exterminator20 's sage advice. As you can guess, I am in complete agreement with both.:D

Downloading software is best done from their developers, so along with the advice I shall include their site <links> below:

CCleaner www.piriform.com is safe enough to use daily. LastPass www.lastpass.com has made my life both easier & more secure with it's military grade encryption. At www.malwarebytes.org you'll find a lot of positive reading to accompany the two free downloads mentioned. For Aomei, they are a Japanese company, here's the link for one of the few remaining 'safe' download sites, Softpedia http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/AOMEI-Data-Backuper.shtml
always look for what their seal represents - "100% Free Download. No Spyware, No Adware, No Viruses"

For added privacy in Chrome, go to settings...
  1. Scroll down and click on Advanced Settings
  2. Under Privacy choose "Content settings" >> "Cookies"
  3. Check the box beside "Block 3rd party cookies & site data"

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Considering your on a basic knowledge in computers, ESET does bundled called HIPS (Host Intrusion Prevention System) design for prompting any changes may happen to your system and applied as a rule, so generally don't play cause it will show pop ups as very technical and capable for experience users unless you have assistance to guide you.

You mention for downloading malware samples, its a dangerous part to run in a host system/real system caused its an instant infected computer so you need an isolated environment like a Virtual Machine or another computer.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.