HarborFront's Security System

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Real-time protection is overkill. But if you're fine with that, then you may continue using them all. :)

Password manager is No? Do you use a notebook to store passwords, or your memory?

So far I have no conflict with the programs installed. If any conflict I'll remove as deemed necessary.

I use a MS Word's file to store my list of passwords.

Thanks

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
To much apps for my taste and there is way too much overlap! Hitman pro alert does the same as kaspersky antiransom and the anti logger part in zemana. Plus you have both traficlight and avira browser safety remove one of them too.the more security apps you have , the more chance of overlap there is , definately in your case which Will result in a unsteady more vunerable computer. The security product Will clash , leaving security holes! Layered protection is OK as long as the product can co excist with eachother. Thanks for sharing your config!

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I agree with the other guys about the large number of extensions that could slow down the browser and security apps on real-time: redundant.
Wise Registry Cleaner is not very necessary and it might cause damage considering you don't have a OS backup plan.
Ccleaner is more than enough considering that its registry cleaner is light and safe enough.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Take Caution - although you have covered most of the basics, critical areas are either not covered or "too much" which can cause system instability.

Overlapping layers of security - potential conflict and wider surface of attack to OS and browsers
Insecure storage of sensitive data - identify theft
Limited recovery options - no system recovery image or backup installation media

Disclaimer: Verdict accurate at time of submission date, includes opinions from members' posts above.

D

Deleted member 2913

Currently 4 systems in our home dont have that much security software & extension that you have on your system:p

IMHO, quite a few programs are not needed or overlap as mentioned by our frds here.

If I would use CFW with AutoSandbox, I would customize CFW a little & would not need or add other programs...some users add atleast an AV with CFW But I am of the opinion, you dont need any...AutoSandbox for offline protection & Cloud part is sufficient as an AV...given that you are running CFW with AutoSandbox & little customization means you know to use or work with CFW.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
IMO too much for real time protection.I cannot imagine this not having some kind of system impact.
Personally I would use Comodo Firewall or Windows Firewall with Avast Free(on the settings you have noted) & AppGuard or VoodooShield & HMPA
I would use ZAL as an on demand scanner and get rid of SpywareBlaster & Kaspersky AntiRansom.
CCleaner is more than enough.
Consider some type of system backup solution.
Fix redundant Browser extensions.
Adding a Password manager is a good idea.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ok, I reply all the posts here rather than individually but not in sequence just the points

First of all let me say something - DON'T FOLLOW WHAT I'M DOING!!

Backup work files and system

I mentioned before I'm only backing my my work files by copy and paste onto a flash thumb drive daily. And I also have all the program installers copied to the flash drive as well. As for any system back up and rollback I don't require it. I rather let my system screws up and then reformat and re-install my programs. I have done it quite a number of times and I'll continue doing it. The reason being some times it's good to give the system an entire clean over. I can then re-think of what software are needed to be installed and what's to be discarded.

Password Manager

I don't have 500 passwords to keep. I also mentioned that I keep my passwords on a MS Word file and this is also copied to my flash thumb drive with those aforementioned files. FYI, I'm the only one using my MS SP3 so I have no worry of theft of data or important items being stolen for I'm keeping my data files separate from my MS SP3.

Registry Cleaners

If I'm not wrong CCleaner and Wise Registry Cleaner are the safest of the registry cleaners from internet reviews and that's why I'm using them. Most of thh times I'm using the Quick Clean method. They have not given me issues till to-date.

Avast AV, ZAL and HMPA

Avast AV is my main AV and ZAL is my main AM. In HMPA I've disabled its KB encryption to avoid having conflict with ZAL.

BitDefender TrafficLight (BDTL), Avira Browser Safety (ABS) & uBlock Origin

Frankly, BDTL performs actively in Firefox whilst ABS works actively in Chrome. Don't ask me why. As for uBlock Origin it's not as active as BDTL & ABS. Don't ask me why again for I tested the 3 of them together at vxvalult.net and malc0de. A few days back ABS has a new release but after these few days of testing at vxvault.net and malc0de it seems very inactive as compared to the earlier extension/add-on. In fact, Google Safe Browsing and Firefox's Web Security seem to takeover together with BDTL/uBlock Origin. I gather that this new release of ABS is not effective and not worth the install so I had it removed. I removed not because of fellows' comments here, ok?

Kaspersky AntiRansomware Tool for Business

I have seen it in action before so I'm keeping it. After all I don't feel it as an extra even with antiransom features from HMPA and ZAL. No harm having an extra one.

Comodo Firewall (CFW)

I let it do its job as a firewall. As for sandboxing I seldom run any testing program or browser inside it. After all HMPA already protecting my browsing. My purpose of having CFW is to test its stability against my system due to some bad installation experience with previous version. This version seems stable so far. If it was unstable I would have thrown it out and used my previous PrivateFirewall.

Duplication of software features

Nowadays, software comes with many features and some do overlap at times. Can't be avoided if you want to use them. The only way out is to disable some features on one just to let the other run smoothly. Exclusions is useless for their real-time protection is still being affected. However, one has to decide whether to use the software if too many features are being disabled. I'm the user of my system and I'll monitor if the software/browser extension installed does impact and to what degree it'll cause my system to slow down or even perform weirdly.

My System Performance

I'm using MS SP3 Core i7 running Win Pro 64-bit. It's natural that if more software/browser extensions are installed the system's performance will be impacted. It's true of my system but I don't feel so great an impact that I need to uninstall many of my software or browser extensions.

Conclusion

MS SP3 has been out in the market coming to 2 years (I think) and I have not been infected with anything yet. My aim is to get a system which is over-protected rather than under-protected and gets an infection. There's no such a thing as adequate protection. And there's no single software that can 100% protect you. With an over-protected system I do not need to tie myself down when surfing the net like observing good safe surfing habits etc.Why should I restrict myself? The net is the world and I go where I like to (within limits). If I gets an infection it's also a good test of the robustness of my security system and the need to improve on it, no?

Like I said if my system screws up I just reformat it. That's all!

Thanks everyone for your critique.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I remembered way back when browsing in Wilderssecurity's share your configuration page where so many overlapped setups shown which better to trim down even no issues occur.

Like why not Avast and Comodo Firewall?

Avast and Zemana Antilogger?

Avast and Voodoshield?

Voodoshield is also good against ransomware scenario attacks, thanks to Lockdown concept.

Comodo Firewall has so many configuration that when you tweak properly, the effectiveness is there.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@HarborFront thank you for your explanation.
If this config works for you then you should keep it.
A small notice.
All the above answers it's not criticism, it's observations and suggestions;).
So there is no reason to offended:)
Nope. No hard feelings on my part.

In fact, I was waiting for my system to be critiqued when I put it up. I'll be improving on it as I go along.....with new selection of software.

We all have different needs and requirements

Thanks

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
You seem pretty dead-set on your configuration, so if it works for you it works for you. But know that you are no more protected than having, let's say, one or two of the many real-time protection software you have installed. I'm not writing off your setup completely, but until I see a realistic scenario where you would need simultaneous protection from CF's auto-sandbox, VS, and AG, I'm not convinced this is at all necessary.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.