Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Hard Disk is not identified by file managers in Windows or Linux
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I tried Gparted, CloneZilla, and MiniTool Partition Wizard, but none of them can see the disk.
Terminal commands in Linux fail to list the disk.
I did not perform any actions yet on the disk because I don't want to make matters worse, especially as I couldn't figure out a way to clone the disk before experimenting with it.
I pulled a HDD out of an old Windows 7 computer that died. It has the OS and data on it.
I added it as an additional hard disk in a working Win10 computer, connecting it by SATA.
Windows Disk Manager says the disk needs to be initialized.
I don't care so much about the disk itself, but I would like to recover the data.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Have you tried this?
I downloaded it but didn't try it yet. It requires the disk to be initialized, which, according to most sources I read, will cause data loss. I hesitate to do something that might cause irreversible data loss.

Upvote 0

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
At the expense of additional investment, we recommend purchasing an adapter to convert SATA to USB. In my experience, this was the most likely way to rescue data. Please choose the type that supplies power separately, not the bus power.
512s6nF-NmL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.