Troubleshoot Hard drive decreasing?!

V

viel

Thread author
Hello,
My disk space is changing from 729 Gb to 605 or 670 then going back up to 729!

I scanned with Avira and Hitman Pro no threats!
Help!

Reactions: AtlBo and Rengar

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
any folder in the c drive which says windows.old?

i do not think this is a malware related issue, but i could be wrong.

Reactions: AtlBo
Upvote 0

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
You can use TreeSizeFree to see which directories are using the space on your PC. Check when it is low then when its high to see where the space is being used. System Restore can cause this but drive should only +10-15 GB on a normal setting (5% disk usage).

Could be a large Windows 10 update in progress.

Reactions: ispx
Upvote 0

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
get treesize as @AtlBo suggested or the windirstat & you should know where your disk space is being used.

also have a look at your system restore as suggested, although it is less likely but it is worth a shot.

Upvote 0
V

viel

Thread author
get treesize as @AtlBo suggested or the windirstat & you should know where your disk space is being used.

also have a look at your system restore as suggested, although it is less likely but it is worth a shot.
Nothing... it's still going 650 to 728 to 729 then back again.
Many people had worms causing this, but I have ran 12 scans with Avira and Hitman Pro.

Upvote 0
V

viel

Thread author

Do you think it's windows creating temp files? Or the virus scans creating temp files.

Upvote 0
V

viel

Thread author

I dragged the slider to 1% in System restore settings or something like that.

Upvote 0
V

viel

Thread author
By the way what scanners do you use? I have seen some tests and Avira beats most free antiviruses Iike avast and bit defender and many more.

Upvote 0

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
I dragged the slider to 1% in System restore settings or something like that.

ok so at 1% system restore is not the culprit.

read & try the suggestions in that thread i just posted, you got nothing to lose, you just might free some more disk space.

My disk space is changing from 729 Gb to 605 or 670 then going back up to 729

your disk usage is varying from 50gb-100gb, yes you should be worried.

Upvote 0
V

viel

Thread author
ok so at 1% system restore is not the culprit.

read & try the suggestions in that thread i just posted, you got nothing to lose, you just might free some more disk space.

your disk usage is varying from 50gb-100gb, yes you should be worried.
No mate, I just set it to 1% and t has improved now I'm losing less than 20 GB.
I am losing less than 20GB should I be worried?

Reactions: AtlBo and ispx
Upvote 0

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
No mate, I just set it to 1% and t has improved now I'm losing less than 20 GB.
I am losing less than 20GB should I be worried?

ok good. try the scanners. run a windows system maintenance. i would advise a re-boot too.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.