Hard Drive LED Allows Data Theft From Air-Gapped PCs

vemn

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 11, 2017
Researchers at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev in Israel have disclosed yet another method that can be used to exfiltrate data from air-gapped computers, and this time it involves the activity LED of hard disk drives (HDDs).

Many desktop and laptop computers have an HDD activity indicator, which blinks when data is being read from or written to the disk. The blinking frequency and duration depend on the type and intensity of the operation being performed.

Continue reading

vemn

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 11, 2017
That's why physical security (no windows, shielded room, etc.) accompanies electromagnetic isolation. At least, everywhere I worked it was.

Yeah I had once too.
But no, not electromagnetic isolation. That's a bit extreme isn't it???

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Don't share with the paranoid home users. Just stick some duct tape over the LED?

Reactions: vemn

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Yeah I had once too.
But no, not electromagnetic isolation. That's a bit extreme isn't it???
I worked in/with various U.S. Government agencies, to include missile systems, satellite networks, space systems, air sovereignty, intelligence/counterintelligence, tactical communications, netops...all areas that are continuously under attack on many, many fronts.

No, not extreme.

Reactions: Ink and vemn

vemn

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 11, 2017
Don't share with the paranoid home users. Just stick some duct tape over the LED?
You just nail it with this ultimate solution! Brilliant! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.