Hardening and Securing Android?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Suggestions:Are 3rd party options available?
Latest Google Android OS❌
Monthly Security updates❌
Google Play Protect❌
Find my Phone (Anti-Theft)✅
Trusted and Reputable Antivirus for Android (optional)✅
6-digit PIN or Biometric (Iris or Fingerprint)❌
Chrome: Enable SafeBrowsing and flags for enhanced security❌
Privacy-focused browser (ie. Firefox Focus)✅
Tempered glass screen protector (not flimsy plastic)✅
Bumper case with lip (armored)✅

Some ideas.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Security - To prevent your phone from being hacked and malware infection. Besides those mentioned

1) Choose a browser that you can improve upon its security/privacy settings with extensions e.g. FF
2) Have a good AV
3) Use a good dedicated VPN with a Kill Switch in always-connected mode. Surf only HTTPS sites for end-to-end encryption which the VPN cannot provide
4) Sandbox using Island, Shelter etc

Privacy - To prevent your personal self and data from being exposed or stolen

1) Privacy settings and extensions in the browser will help here. Can also consider a privacy-focused browser
2) Try as much disable Google apps and prevent them calling home in your phone without jeopardizing its operation
3) Do NOT use social media apps like FB, WhatsApp, Instagram, Twitter, WeChat etc
4) Control the app's permissions to prevent unnecessary calling home
5) Use a firewall to control what apps need outgoing connection
6) Download apps' apks from Non-Google Play Store e.g. apkmirror, apkpure, F-Droid, Aptoide, apkmonk etc
7) Change to a more privacy-focused search engine like Searx, Startpage, DDG etc
8) Data encryption
9) Use BlackFog Privacy - going to release soon

Note that android supports only one VPN at any one time. As a user you'll need to decide to choose only one of the below

1) a good dedicated VPN
2) a system-wide adblocker like adguard, blokada, dns66 etc
3) a dedicated firewall like noroot firewall, netguard etc
4) privacy apps like Lumen Privacy Monitor, Recon etc

Last edited:

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
There are not so common but I think useful apps that I'm using on my Xiaomi
- NoRoot Firewall
- Wi-Fi Privacy Police
I tottally agree with NoRoot Firewall - DEFINITELY install it :p!

Security - To prevent your phone from being hacked and malware infection. Besides those mentioned

1) Choose a browser that you can improve upon its security/privacy settings with extensions e.g. FF
2) Have a good AV
3) Use a good dedicated VPN with a Kill Switch in always-connected mode. Surf only HTTPS sites for end-to-end encryption which the VPN cannot provide
4) Sandbox using Island, Shelter etc

Privacy - To prevent your personal self and data from being exposed or stolen

1) Privacy settings and extensions in the browser will help here. Can also consider a privacy-focused browser
2) Try as much disable Google apps and prevent them calling home in your phone without jeopardizing its operation
3) Do NOT use social media apps like FB, WhatsApp, Instagram, Twitter, WeChat etc
4) Control the app's permissions to prevent unnecessary calling home
5) Use a firewall to control what apps need outgoing connection
6) Download apps' apks from Non-Google Play Store e.g. apkmirror, apkpure, F-Droid, Aptoide, apkmonk etc
7) Change to a more privacy-focused search engine like Searx, Startpage, DDG etc
8) Data encryption
9) Use BlackFog Privacy - going to release soon

Note that android supports only one VPN at any one time. As a user you'll need to decide to choose only one of the below

1) a good dedicated VPN
2) a system-wide adblocker like adguard, blokada, dns66 etc
3) a dedicated firewall like noroot firewall, netguard etc
4) privacy apps like Lumen Privacy Monitor, Recon etc
I would definitely go for noroot firewall on unroteed phones.

Reactions: ichito and Rebsat

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.