Hardware Trojan (CPU, RAM, Graphic card, BIOS)?

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
hello, friends:) what if a rootkit or malware infect your CPU, bios or your hardwares?:eek:
Please let me know:
1-Ways to Avoid?
2-Ways to detect and remove them?

Last edited:

Bryan Lam

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2015
Their right, although as of right now, none of these virus' exist and they probably never will unless the source code for the original exploit is revealed. That being said, every motherboard is different and if you want to infect all of them with one exploit or file it won't work in technical terms. This is because the firmware is different for every Motherboard. Along with this, most hardware based exploits can be patched through updates available through vendors *assuming they have the competence to get a team to work on a fix.

^^^Applies to New Hardware only

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I remember Mebromi BIOS rootkit which can infect Award ROM BIOS manufactured by Phoenix Technologies, by transferring a part of its code within the chip, responsible for the first phases of the PC bootstrap.
Mebromi then infects the Master Boot Record of the hard disk (sector 0 of the disk where the BIOS passes the control of execution to the end of bootstrap), finally running a kernel rootkit in Windows to hide the infection to the operating system and antivirus.

Now as you see, everything is based on deception: the corruption of DNS servers that redirect to malicious sites or phishing/social engineering attacks!
No user or operating system is immune from these attacks...just common sense.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
@Winter Soldier, Thank you for this valuable information:p
so comodo hips or hitman pro alert can handle it, right?
No idea, malware scenario is continually changing, what can be detected today, it can be FUD tomorrow.
In these cases, it is very important the interaction: alarm/user, trying to identify malicious actions.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Lol, good luck. This scenario is beyond science fiction. The chance of aliens eliminating the whole planet by the time you read this message is higher than a typical user to find such a malware.
I agree, sometimes these malware are proof of concept.
Quite rare got infected with this type of specialized codes, but I also think: when you are infected...the statistics lose their importance :p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.