Browser(s) and extensions
Palemoon, Chrome
Extensions:
Ublock Origin
Session Manager
Decentraleyes
Keefox
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Toolwiz Time Freeze (To test new software), Revo Uninstaller, Process Lasso

Harigat

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 8, 2014
This is my first security configuration thread.
I take image backups of my Windows partition once a month using Norton Ghost 15.(It works just fine even if it's development has stopped)
Also, I'm still using KitKat on my phone as I have installed Exposed Modules and done many customizations which may not be compatible with Marshmellow.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

You need OS Security Filter turned on (Windows Smartscreen) but apart from that looks good :) Thanks for sharing.

P.S: You need an anti-virus for Android like avast! Mobile Security, Avira or Malwarebytes.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Everything is well covered at all but just consider to follow the advice as mentioned since your setup will mark at risk no matter if you forget to activate OS built in settings.

Harigat

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 8, 2014
Ok then I will turn SmartScreen On. I turned it off because people on internet complained about it being bad for privacy.
I can't use antivirus on my phone as it has only 1GB RAM. Multitasking is adversely affected by installing antivirus on it and my phone became slow. It's the first generation Android One, Spice Dream Uno.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Smartscreen is amazing at blocking unknown files meaning there may be a few false positives but it will block certain zero-day malware.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I agree turn on SmartScreen other than that it looks good to me, maybe swap Ghostery for oBlockOrigin or Adguard for better privacy. :)

Thanks for sharing. ;)

D

Deleted member 178

Ok then I will turn SmartScreen On. I turned it off because people on internet complained about it being bad for privacy.

Don't listen clueless people on the net who don't know what they talk about. Smartscreen compare the executable you are downloading/running with its database based on reputation. Of course , MS will "know" what program you are downloading but it does the same as any other AVs with similar features.

Harigat

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 8, 2014
I agree turn on SmartScreen other than that it looks good to me, maybe swap Ghostery for oBlockOrigin or Adguard for better privacy. :)

Thanks for sharing. ;)
I didn't use Ublock Origin because it's interface does not allow toggling blocking for specific trackers and widgets quickly and easily as Ghostery.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Ghostery may block tracking domains but uBlock Origin has privacy and security features:
ublock.PNG

Reactions: hjlbx and frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.