Advice Request Has anyone tried Bitdefender Rescue CD?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What is the best rescue cd? Speed and detection rate are important

• Bitdefender

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Kaspersky

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Avast

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Avira

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr.Web

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESET

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hi everyone :),
I want to know which rescue CD has the best balance between scanning speed and detection rate
Most of the PCs I fixed have low specs (1-2gb of ram, pentium or core2duo cpus) that's why fast scanning speed is an important factor

I'm using avira rescue cd in my usb but in the new version they removed all the options so everything is automatic. The last time I used, it took almost 1.5 hours to finish in a low specs laptop. Then I installed avira free and did a full scan, it found 30-40 threats more

Is bitdefender rescue cd good? I saw Britec's video about rescue cds and I saw BD took ~10 minutes to finish its scan and the dectection rate was quite acceptable. Of course lower dectection rate is expected but at least the pc should be usable to be able to install a primary AV right after the scan
Kaspersky and Dr.Web took forever to finish, 1.5-3 hours --> which is unacceptable at least for me :confused:
ESET also tool 15-20 minutes to finish so which was good

Thank you

Alex BK

Level 2
Verified
Apr 23, 2015
Kaspersky did work for me, and it solved everything. I would sacrifice even 5 hours just to get the infection removed. 10 minutes scan time is irrelevant if you don't get your problems fixed... When you try to remove infections with a Live CD, you're doing this as your last attempt to fix your issues, you tried everything before and nothing seemed to work, or simply you have a file infector virus on your hard drive that you cannot remove if your OS is still running :D
If it's live CD it has to be effective.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I've used the bitdefender one about two years ago, but I had issues with getting an internet connection, so I was unable to download the latest signatures. I performed a scan with older signatures then and it had lots of false positives and it was unable to detect the malware on that pc (maybe it could when i got the latest ones, but after multiple times trying, it still didn't connect with my wired network.) Also the scan time was rather long.

I also tried the Kaspersky, Panda and Avira boot disk and from all of them Kaspersky was the most effective and had the most features.

All of them have their good and bad things. Some of them have more extra features like a (simple) internet browser or a tool to navigate and copy files from disks too (Bitdefender and Kaspersky for example), other focus on the scanning itself (Panda).
You just have to try some of them, in a virtual machine for example to see which is the best on your case. And what one AV vendor can't detect, another probably can.

And if you can't choose maybe SARDU is the perfect tool for you. You select the disks from all the vendors you want, it downloads them with one click, so no need to search on websites and it creates one boot cd (or usb) automatically for you with a main menu where you can switch easily to another AV boot cd. As long as there is space on your usb or cd you can add more boot disks to it. You can find more about it on the website. I tried it myself and it's a great product that deserves more popularity.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I've used the bitdefender one about two years ago, but I had issues with getting an internet connection, so I was unable to download the latest signatures. I performed a scan with older signatures then and it had lots of false positives and it was unable to detect the malware on that pc (maybe it could when i got the latest ones, but after multiple times trying, it still didn't connect with my wired network.) Also the scan time was rather long.

I also tried the Kaspersky, Panda and Avira boot disk and from all of them Kaspersky was the most effective and had the most features.

All of them have their good and bad things. Some of them have more extra features like a (simple) internet browser or a tool to navigate and copy files from disks too (Bitdefender and Kaspersky for example), other focus on the scanning itself (Panda).
You just have to try some of them, in a virtual machine for example to see which is the best on your case. And what one AV vendor can't detect, another probably can.

And if you can't choose maybe SARDU is the perfect tool for you. You select the disks from all the vendors you want, it downloads them with one click, so no need to search on websites and it creates one boot cd (or usb) automatically for you with a main menu where you can switch easily to another AV boot cd. As long as there is space on your usb or cd you can add more boot disks to it. You can find more about it on the website. I tried it myself and it's a great product that deserves more popularity.
thank you. I've been using sardu for years and it's a great tool. Start downloading kaspersky now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.