Advice Request Have you enabled "Detection of Unsafe Applications" in ESET?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ESET: Have you enabled Detection of Potentially Unsafe Applications?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Of course it's not acceptable, but most likely they just don't care. They would already know it that their software will always be detected. I wouldn't consider Auslogics to be a trustworthy company. For example, they use a fake review site, softwaretested.com to promote their Tweakbit branded software. So I wouldn't expect them to care about anything other than making money.

Maybe the Pro of their defrag software version doesn't come bundled with anything, and that is why it does not get detected.

Auslogics offers great products especially the Disk Defrag Pro. I hope they stop bundling their installers with nonesence. Thank you for your replies :)

Reactions: XhenEd

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Auslogics offers great products especially the Disk Defrag Pro.
Some of their products are good, such as their defrag and driver update software. But the registry cleaner in their products detects over 20,000 false positives on my main laptop.

Reactions: Pearl96 and XhenEd

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Some of their products are good, such as their defrag and driver update software. But the registry cleaner in their products detects over 20,000 false positives on my main laptop.

20,000 hahahahah how is your laptop performing hahahahah. I don't use registry cleaners I don't even trust them. This does not mean that there aren't good registry cleaners ( I heard that Kerish is safe in terms of its registry cleaning process) but I will not risk using them until proven here in MT that one of them is surly safe.

Reactions: roger_m

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
20,000 hahahahah how is your laptop performing hahahahah. I don't use registry cleaners I don't even trust them. This does not mean that there aren't good registry cleaners ( I heard that Kerish is safe in terms of its registry cleaning process) but I will not risk using them until proven here in MT that one of them is surly safe.
It runs fine, as they are not actual problems. Even if they were actual unneded registry keys, then most likely they wouldn't be causing problems.

Vit Regsitry Fix, is safe to use, but you never need to clean the registry.

Reactions: Pearl96

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I don't use Bitdefender although it is offered for free by my ISP. I hope someone who is using BTS helps you. I am sorry
You can't enable PUP detection as it detects PUPs by default. However, as I said, it does a really bad job at detecting them. On the otherhand ESET does well at detecting PUPs.

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
It runs fine, as they are not actual problems. Even if they were actual unneded registry keys, then most likely they wouldn't be causing problems.

Vit Regsitry Fix, is safe to use, but you never need to clean the registry.

When I asked "hot your laptop is performing" that was a sarcastic question. Stupid cleaners give such alerts to terrify the user and make him buy their products.

Reactions: roger_m

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
When I asked "hot your laptop is performing" that was a sarcastic question. Stupid cleaners give such alerts to terrify the user and make him buy their products.
In this case they are not intentional false positives, it's a bug in their registry cleaner engine.

Reactions: Pearl96

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@carsten ibsen since you don't want to change from BD to another security software
your solution to avoid PUP being installed on your system would be Unchecky.
Yes BD has low scores in PUP detection but you should always remember to do a custom install of a program.

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
@carsten ibsen since you don't want to change from BD to another security software
your solution to avoid PUP being installed on your system would be Unchecky.
Yes BD has low scores in PUP detection but you should always remember to do a custom install of a program.

No solution is 100% effective on every aspect. I think one should be careful what files to download and from download and as you said doing a custom install is a must nowadays! I have never used unchecky but it seems it is worth to be tried.

Reactions: tonibalas

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's also integrated into Reason Core Security Free/Paid, but I recommend the standalone version at Unchecky.com.

Unchecky will notify you if accidentally mark a checkbox, but otherwise operates silently in the background. It's an Install and Forget type of software.

@carsten ibsen You have SAS, Zemana and Malwarebytes in real-time?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Update to my post, Unsafe should be enabled, but Unwanted to remain optional as not all Unwanted Software is adware/malware. For example, McAfee bundled in Adobe Flash Player, or Chrome with CCleaner. These are legitimate and safe software, but may be unwanted at the time of installation of another program.

Potentially Unsafe Applications is disabled by default in ESET Online Scanner.

upload_2017-3-14_13-23-13.png

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Update to my post, Unsafe should be enabled, but Unwanted to remain optional as not all Unwanted Software is adware/malware. For example, McAfee bundled in Adobe Flash Player, or Chrome with CCleaner. These are legitimate and safe software, but may be unwanted at the time of installation of another program.

Potentially Unsafe Applications is disabled by default in ESET Online Scanner.

View attachment 142718

There is a new version of ccleaner now! When you download ccleaner download the slim build which is inot bundled with any 3rd party software ( the slim bulid is released a few days after the release of the normal build ). For me PUPs are worse than malware. I can't describe how much I despise PUPs

Reactions: Ink

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
For me PUPs are worse than malware. I can't describe how much I despise PUPs
While PUPs can be an annoyance, almost always they are harmless and come with an uninstaller so they can easily be removed. If you pay close attention when installing software to make sure any third party offers are not selected, you won't get any PUPS. As mentioned, Unchecky helps a lot with avoiding PUPs, but even if you use it, it's still good to pay attention when installing software in case there's an offer Unchecky misses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pearl96 and Ink

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
While PUPs can be an annoyance, almost always they are harmless and come with an uninstaller so they can easily be removed. If you pay close attention when installing software to make sure any third party offers are not selected, you won't get any PUPS. As mentioned, Uncheck helps a lot with avoiding PUPs, but even if you use it, it's still good to pay attention when installing software in case there's an offer Unchecky misses.

Generally I don't get infected with PUPs but I said I hate them ( I hate the idea about them ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.