Poll Have you enabled "Detection of Unsafe Applications" in ESET?

Discussion in 'ESET' started by Pearl96, Mar 13, 2017.

?

ESET: Have you enabled Detection of Potentially Unsafe Applications?

1. Yes, enabled

56.8%
  2. No, disabled

6.8%
  3. No, I don't use ESET

36.4%
  1. Pearl96

Pearl96 Level 5

Jan 14, 2017
    Student
    Palestine
    Windows 10
    I had a small trip through Eset's settings and I enabled "Detection of potentially unsafe applications" which led to the detection of some installers like Auslogics ones and some websites like (www.uniblue.com). Do you recommend keeping this option enabled? and what do you think ?

2. Winter Soldier

Winter Soldier Level 25

Feb 13, 2017
    PLC programmer - Robotics industry
    Wormhole
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    That's because some programs can show a pattern of installation without user permission or notice on a system or be deemed to be separate and different from the application installed.
    BTW I recommend keeping it enabled.

ItsReallyMe, BugCode, Pearl96 and 3 others like this.
  3. Overlord

Overlord Level 8
    Content Creator

Feb 22, 2013
    Poland
    ESET
    "Detection of potentially unsafe applications" In my opinion, this option should be enabled for the extension of protection. The final decision should always belong to the user.

4. Purshu_Pro

Purshu_Pro Level 29
    Trusted

Aug 3, 2013
    EMSISOFT Re-Seller
    India
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Yes, when I was a ESET user I used this feature and it works great as a PUP detector. The reason the applications have been detected as a PUP because they will have some inbuilt bundled software which installs along with the original product.

For example: Software's comes with additional installers and offers like marketing material, browser toolbars etc.. which might change the browser search settings without users knowledge.

[​IMG]

My suggestion would be keeping it on as it really helps to track some malicious softwares which may come with PUP's.

5. amir 957

amir 957 Level 4

Jan 9, 2017
    Iran
    Windows 10
    ESET
    When i was using ESET, i enabled it
    I recommend to enable it because i think it's for detecting PUP

6. XhenEd

XhenEd Level 27
    Content Creator Trusted

Mar 1, 2014
    Philippines
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    I think the detection of your Auslogics is not from the "Detection of potentially unsafe applications" option, but rather from "Detection of potentially unwanted applications". If ESET didn't change the options, there are two options for those "potentially".

According to VT, thanks to @roger_m, the detection has something to do with being it unwanted. :)

The reason why it's potentially unwanted is already given by the posters above. :)

7. Pearl96

Pearl96 Level 5

Jan 14, 2017
    Student
    Palestine
    Windows 10
    Thank you all! I'll keep it enabled.

BugCode, tonibalas, amir 957 and 2 others like this.
  8. Pearl96

Pearl96 Level 5

Jan 14, 2017
    Student
    Palestine
    Windows 10
    Auslogics installers are not bundled with toolbars or other installations of other software. I think the reason behind its detection is something called "Google analytics"

9. Spawn

Spawn Administrator
    Staff Member Content Creator

Jan 8, 2011
    Pearl96 likes this.
  10. amir 957

amir 957 Level 4

Jan 9, 2017
    Iran
    Windows 10
    ESET
    Never mind:)

Pearl96 likes this.
  11. tonibalas

tonibalas Level 38
    Trusted

Sep 26, 2014
    I have it enabled.
    The reason is to avoid programs that i don't want to download.
    A good example was the installer of CCleaner which was bundled with Chrome.
    Eset always flagged the installer as suspicious or something like that.
    I also have the option enabled because of the low false positive rate of Eset.
    If Eset something is malicious or suspicious then most of the time is right.

BugCode, Pearl96 and Winter Soldier like this.
  12. Pearl96

Pearl96 Level 5

Jan 14, 2017
    Student
    Palestine
    Windows 10
    The same happened to me with the normal installer of ccleaner, so I downloaded the slim version which is not bundled with any third party services

tonibalas likes this.
  13. roger_m

roger_m Level 12

Dec 4, 2014
    Windows 10
    Panda
    Also, most Auslogics products come bundled with BootSpeed. If you do the default Express Install then you will not be informed that BootSpeed will be installed, or given the option to opt out of installing it. You need to do a Cusom Install, and then you will have the option to not install it. I just installed the latest version of Auslogics Registry Cleaner, and it now also wanted to change my homepage and search engine to Yahoo, and also install Auslogics Driver Updater.

Auslogics RC.png Auslogics RC2.png Auslogics RC3.png

Unchecky automatically set the install to Custom, and unchecked the other extras.

tonibalas and Pearl96 like this.
  14. DJ Panda

DJ Panda Level 29

Aug 30, 2015
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    I have heard really good things about ESET. However, due to some hardware problems I am not able to run it. I picked the third option because I use a different program. :)

tonibalas and Pearl96 like this.
  15. Pearl96

Pearl96 Level 5

Jan 14, 2017
    Student
    Palestine
    Windows 10
    This is their support reply -_-
    "
    Thank you for your message and I am sorry there was an issue installing our software.
    I would like to assure you that we do not include malware or viruses in our installers. We only work with reliable partners, whose offers are screened and tested to be malware and virus-free. If an installation is flagged by an antivirus program, it must be a false-positive, which unfortunately may happen with legitimate software. No third-party product is ever installed silently with our programs - you are always shown the offer first and given the option to decline it.

Please, let us know which antivirus program is installed on your PC and we will help you to add our product to the antivirus Trust List.

Thank you for being our customer!"

I am emailing them again and this time with screenshots

tonibalas likes this.
  16. XhenEd

XhenEd Level 27
    Content Creator Trusted

Mar 1, 2014
    Philippines
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    The Support is quite right, except for the "false positive".

The detection you had is not about malware. It's about PUP. And PUP isn't classified as malware. ESET deliberately included Auslogics products to their PUP detection, as seen in the detection name.

So, no, it's not false positive, but a PUP detection. :) If you really want to use the product, then you just have to exclude it from detection. :)

tonibalas, Pearl96 and roger_m like this.
  17. Pearl96

Pearl96 Level 5

Jan 14, 2017
    Student
    Palestine
    Windows 10
    Hello and thank you! I know it is not malware detection but it is a PUP and it should always be detected. I am emailing them to see what they will reply!

XhenEd likes this.
  18. roger_m

roger_m Level 12

Dec 4, 2014
    Windows 10
    Panda
    Why are you emaiing them for? It's not being detected as being malware, but is correctly being detected as being a PUP.

Pearl96 and XhenEd like this.
  19. Pearl96

Pearl96 Level 5

Jan 14, 2017
    Student
    Palestine
    Windows 10
    I am emailing them because this is not acceptable - bundling their installers with other installers and 3rd party services! I know it is kind of advertisement and I know they will not change the way their installers work but I want them to know that their installer will never be reported as false positive. What I find interesting is the installer of Auslogics Disk Defrag pro. It is not detected by Eset!

XhenEd likes this.
  20. roger_m

roger_m Level 12

Dec 4, 2014
    Windows 10
    Panda
    Of course it's not acceptable, but most likely they just don't care. They would already know it that their software will always be detected. I wouldn't consider Auslogics to be a trustworthy company. For example, they use a fake review site, softwaretested.com to promote their Tweakbit branded software. So I wouldn't expect them to care about anything other than making money.

Maybe the Pro of their defrag software version doesn't come bundled with anything, and that is why it does not get detected.

XhenEd and Pearl96 like this.