Have you ever been infected by ransomware, malware or viruses?

Have you ever been infected by ransomware, malware or viruses?

• Ransomware (I paid to decrypt)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ransomware (got it cleaned without paying)

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Malware that damaged files on my system

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Viruses that caused a clean reinstall

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • No, never!

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • Yes, but it didn't caused a clean reinstall

Votes: 28 33.3%

• Total voters

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Found remnants of one of these critters hiding DEEP in my system:eek::eek::eek: 2 and a half hours (and several beers) later - got rid of it and restored everything back to how I like it:) Now I need another beer but I've run out!:(
So it was a good thing you got infected for the beers. :D Shame you ran out though. ;)

Reactions: ElectricSheep

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I've never infected with a ransomware considering the fact where it's all about user responsibility.

1) Not entertained on solicited or unknown emails.
2) The area where I'm located is still low on prevalence of ransomware attacks
3) and lastly aware on what are do's and dont's, if wanted to test some thing then it can done properly in VM.
I'm curious as to the difference in prevalence of different malware types between first and third world countries.

Reactions: frogboy and AtlBo

ravi prakash saini

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 22, 2015
nearly 7 or 8 years ago I intentionally ran zeroaccess without using any virtual sort of system.
Kaspersky tried to stop me but I overruled it and after that it took me more than 24 hrs to clean my system

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I have been infected by a simple worm probably about two years ago. Then I started learning about Windows security to prevent that from happening again :)

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
Yes, but it did not cause a clean install.

Ironically enough, years ago I had just bought my first desktop, and was searching for the free Av suite being offered by my ISP, clicked a related Google Search link and was nailed. After calling around and realizing the ridiculous prices being asked for to clean it from local Tech shops, I took matters into my own hands, and researched how to clean it myself, this lead to learning safer surfing habits and much more over the years, been infection free from that point forward.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.