Not open for further replies.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Probably one of the first times ever I am having issues updating one of my devices to the latest version of Windows 10. I keep getting the 0xc1420121 error code. I tried even resetting it to factory default but it reverts the changes. 2 of my 3 devices were able to get updated. No idea if it's a space issue but it doesn't seem to be. I followed a lot of the stuff on Microsoft Support's page but I'm getting the same stuff over and over again. I'm going to bed but any help might be appreciated!

Also wanted to see how much of the community here has dealt with update issues.

Thanks!

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Probably one of the first times ever I am having issues updating one of my devices to the latest version of Windows 10. I keep getting the 0xc1420121 error code. I tried even resetting it to factory default but it reverts the changes. 2 of my 3 devices were able to get updated. No idea if it's a space issue but it doesn't seem to be. I followed a lot of the stuff on Microsoft Support's page but I'm getting the same stuff over and over again. I'm going to bed but any help might be appreciated!

Also wanted to see how much of the community here has dealt with update issues.

Thanks!
Another proof of failing updates from WU.
Do as i do , i never upgrade builds via WU, i clean install.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If I have trouble installing a major upgrade, I download the ISO
Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File)
then I mount it, and run the installer. If you do it that way (instead of creating a live usb) it will save your apps and settings, and just give you the update.
It works a lot better than Windows updates, for some reason. My wife's laptop was on Windows 10 1803, which is reaching end-of-life very soon, and it refused to update the regular way. But it updated very smoothly with the ISO method.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Another proof of failing updates from WU.
Do as i do , i never upgrade builds via WU, i clean install.

Yeah its annoying as a last ditch effort I try to clean install but it keeps reversing changes putting me back where I started.

Try the update assistant if you haven't already: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445

Yeah thanks nice tries update assistant but it tries to install hur keeps failing.

If I have trouble installing a major upgrade, I download the ISO
Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File)
then I mount it, and run the installer. If you do it that way (instead of creating a live usb) it will save your apps and settings, and just give you the update.
It works a lot better than Windows updates, for some reason. My wife's laptop was on Windows 10 1803, which is reaching end-of-life very soon, and it refused to update the regular way. But it updated very smoothly with the ISO method.

I'll try the ISO method, not sure if it'll work but it its worth a shot.

Thanks everyone. I'll give an update after trying the iso method!

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
check if you have latest drivers from your manufacturer. video card driver is usual culprit for updates not pushing thru.
That and also your AV might have a block. For example Trend Micro is known to block feature upgrades.

Reactions: CyberTech
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Upgrade via WU suxxx plenty:

1- you waste time downloading 4-5gb for only one install, instead of downloading an ISO which may be used many times.
2- you waste time installing it over your previous windows because it has to overwrite tons of files and create windows.old
3- you may waste time if the upgrade kill your hardware functionalities (aka loss of network connectivity or display)
4- you waste time if it simply fails
5- you waste time cleaning the leftover especially windows.old

Properly prepared clean install:

0- download the ISO, download your drivers.
1- installer take 30sec to format the precious system partition. no leftover, no junk, no corrupted files, no AV making troubles.
2- installer take 30mn max to install the OS, you dont even need to connect to internet and download drivers.
3- when install is finished, make a system image, then install the drivers, your softs, etc... if anything goes wrong, restore backup.

I understand noobs doing upgrades via WU, but people here have sufficient skills to do clean installs without failures.
the only cons with clean install is if you cant find drivers for your old hardware.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Upgrade via WU suxxx plenty:

1- you waste time downloading 4-5gb for only one install, instead of downloading an ISO which may be used many times.
2- you waste time installing it over your previous windows because it has to overwrite tons of files and create windows.old
3- you may waste time if the upgrade kill your hardware functionalities (aka loss of network connectivity or display)
4- you waste time if it simply fails
5- you waste time cleaning the leftover especially windows.old

Properly prepared clean install:

0- download the ISO, download your drivers.
1- installer take 30sec to format the precious system partition. no leftover, no junk, no corrupted files, no AV making troubles.
2- installer take 30mn max to install the OS, you dont even need to connect to internet and download drivers.
3- when install is finished, make a system image, then install the drivers, your softs, etc... if anything goes wrong, restore backup.

I understand noobs doing upgrades via WU, but people here have sufficient skills to do clean installs without failures.
the only cons with clean install is if you cant find drivers for your old hardware.
Umbra, after the 15-20 minutes to install Windows on a decent system, how long do you take to install and configure your programs, and tweak your security, and otherwise make yourself feel at home on the new system?

DJ Panda

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I'll try reinstalling using an ISO. Using no third party AVs, I don't understand why it would keep reverting back after trying to reinstall Windows.

UPDATE: Mounted the ISO, ran the setup and chose to remove everything. It just blanks out and gives a box saying the install failed.

UPDATE 2: Ran the setup from USB and it works. What system backuper is recommended?

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Umbra, after the 15-20 minutes to install Windows on a decent system,
1- how long do you take to install and configure your programs,
2- and tweak your security, and otherwise make yourself feel at home on the new system?
1- most of my apps are portable so no installs except MS Office which took an average 15-30mn counting the updates to be completed.
2- win10 settings: around 30mn | win10 built-in security: around 1h. i did so many times so im quite used to do it so it is fast.
after you have non-critical things to polish, which is longer if you do so because it is mostly aesthetic and convenience stuff.

The thing is all my systems are identical, same partition layout and settings, same portables apps at same locations. Only differences are drivers. So all is made to save time. For example for the next upgrade, the procedure wont change much.

I'll try reinstalling using an ISO. Using no third party AVs, I don't understand why it would keep reverting back after trying to reinstall Windows.

UPDATE: Mounted the ISO, ran the setup and chose to remove everything. It just blanks out and gives a box saying the install failed.

UPDATE 2: Ran the setup from USB and it works. What system backuper is recommended?
Never mount an ISO for clean installing lol. only put the ISO on USBs
Macrium fastest and safest.

I believe most people would recommend Macrium Reflect:
Personally I use Windows build-in.
i use both, Win10 one is precautionary measure in case Macrium fails (which happened once for me)

and windows built in is on a bootable usb stick?
After a backup Win10 offers you to create a rescue disk, which allows you to restore the image.
But usually you run the recovery environment then select the image (normally Win10 choose the latest one for you).
i have to say Win10 backup never failed me since win8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.