Advice Request HDD vs SSHD vs SSD

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What type of HDDs do you have?

• Total voters

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
SSHD is fail hybrid technology

best way is SSD + HDD
SSD for
-system
-games
-heavy programs with big files/data like video and program to encode it

-HDD
- Bulk data, music videos etc which you run sometimes or time to time which no need fast buffor

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Overall, SSD is the best option. I think it depends of what are you going to do with your computer. For example, in my PC, used by my family, I have a 1TB HDD, and Windows and all services work fine in terms of speed for common use. In my macbook pro (mid 2012), I changed the HDD, introducing a SanDisk Ultra II SSD , (480GB) and the performance improved a lot. I recommend to use a SSD for primary storage, actually, you can get one for a very good prize, and have an external drive to storage huge stuff, and make security backups (in my case I have a Samsung M3 1TB, now Maxtor, divided for files and Time Machine).

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
You don't have an option for SSD only, which my laptop and wife's Surface have.

My next build may have a platter drive for backups only, depending on SSD prices; otherwise it will be SSD only.

It will be odd not hearing the whirr...

larry goes to church

Level 3
Verified
Mar 10, 2017
With the price difference now a days its not really needed in home PCs.

If you were writing to the HD often and continuously and you had a budget factor maybe as you might see a actual performance increase but you wont see it on a desktop.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.