Advice Request HDD vs SSHD vs SSD

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What type of HDDs do you have?

• Total voters

Hadden

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
For now, I still use ol' style HDD connected via sata or usb.
Probably most you you have a hdd+ssd combo.
I'd like in future to buy an SSHD drive (which is HDD+SSD cache), but what happen if the "ssd cache" stop to work? The disk die or still works as a regular hdd? I consider also an SSD, but I won't gain a good quantity of space on drives.
And what happen to files in ssd cache?
Someone here use, or used, them?
Obviously, a backup - or more - is recommended in any case ^^

So:
> I still likes the HDDs as are the most cheaper with plenty of space, and you have the time to backup when they starts to fail;
> I like the SSHDs as are economic and can boost performances, but I'm a afraid about losing data and I don't trust them yet: Here, for now, can be bought only by trusted (online) vendors and so are still uncommon.
> I like SSDs as are the faster, but I dislike them as, for what I know, tend to die silently and are still quite expensive. A system which does a lot of temporary files (windows) doesn't decrease the life span of this disk?

Last edited:
Reactions: AlphaBeta

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Sshd really don't work. What you mostly will care about is read not write and in that area a small flash storage will not help. Go with a decent ssd to make your life easier. The good ones have many TB of warranty and 5 years. They are not like the old ones that died soon. Look at samsung 850 evo or intel 535.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
My config :
- one PCI-Express SSD for system / programs
- one PCI-Express SSD for games
- HDD 7200 tr/min for other files

I 've never tested SSHD :oops:
But I do not like / trust the 'hybrid' idea :rolleyes:

Last edited:

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
i have in my two gaming laptops SSDs and HDDs. The speed is incredible: also when you are just using average applications like simple multimedia application, office applications etc. a SSD is a must. For the future: i will never buy a PC/LAPTOP without a SSD...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
My laptop contains only HDD.

SSD is the best option at all, problems with the lifespan? No need to worry because you are in the habit to check your computer all day long.

Conduct a backup in case of emergency, usually the lifespan will take maximum of one week so it is impossible that you cannot check your computer within one week.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
...yes thats also my concept: all applications and the OS ("clean" instal) are running from the SSD. I'm saving backups of my data
(from the SSD) on the internal HDD. Additionaly: i'm storing/synchronizing all this backups on an external 2,5'' drive.
Big games (like BF4, BF4, GRID-series, etc) are on the internal HDD.

Reactions: AlphaBeta

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I had an SSHD in my laptop and I was very disappointed. Too slow. It was not worthy of its name.
Get yourself a small SSD for your operating system and programs, and a spacious HDD for your data, and you will be happy.
I only use up 40 gb in my C drive, and I even keep some data on it, besides OS and programs. You can get by with a very small SSD, and even the cheapest of them is so much better than the best HDD that money can buy.

Reactions: frogboy

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
I only use up 40 gb in my C drive, and I even keep some data on it, besides OS and programs. You can get by with a very small SSD, and even the cheapest of them is so much better than the best HDD that money can buy.

Yea i have also setuped 40GB for system and currently 21GB is used. 13-14GB Clean system + rest bulk can be for far enought.
to time like me you start encode videos than 2TB can be even not enought hahaha xD

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
I remember when SSD's were expensive i was looking on the web for a 250gb drive and was surprised at how cheap they were! Might buy myself one for christmas:D

DC47561

Level 3
Verified
Feb 3, 2017
I would agree with tecnotic here. A fast SATA 3 data drive for your storage and an SSD for boot and anything you use regularly.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.