Heimdal Pro - is it worth it?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Thread author
Hello, I have just purchased Heimdal pro 1-year license, and my security is: Windows Defender+Malwarebytes Premium+HitmanPro+Voodoo-Shield(currently Free Version), is it good for me, and what do you think of the program.

Reactions: AtlBo and bribon77
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
Hello, I have just purchased Heimdal pro 1-year license, and my security is: Windows Defender+Malwarebytes Premium+HitmanPro+Voodoo-Shield(currently Free Version), is it good for me, and what do you think of the program.

I believe it is simply because it provides comprehensive DNS and traffic filtration with no discernible impact on a system. Also the program updating feature is handy, time saving and an added bonus.

Think about this, I use Heimdal, and I already have FortiGate Web Filtration, zVELO Web Filtration through Untangle (transparent), and a Pi-Hole local DNS server with blacklists.. Heimdal STILL flags things, almost daily. There is virtually no overlap with Heimdal and other products/services because Heimdal uses their own databases, apparently according to some, they also harvest from the dark web so their blocks can sometimes be more relevant.

While I will argue about not stacking too many solutions, in your situation Heimdal wouldn't conflict in any way with anything else. If you were to drop anything, I would drop MBAM-Premium and run with Windows Defender+Voodooshield+Heimdal w/HMP on demand. Your system would probably run a good bit better and the TLD blocking of MBAM is pretty annoying IMO.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
You consider that it is an additional security level, but also, it is another software that uses system resources.
But if, as you say, you have already purchased it, then the problem doesn't exist because at this point, enjoy it.:)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Why do we have to spend our money to >= 2 security products? I think we should spend maximum 1 because paid products don't garantee better protection, sometimes worse than free solutions and we spend money for something we don't need or our paranoia

€34 for Heimdal Pro definitely not worth any penny, IMO. It should cost max $20 or $10-15
even HMPA isn't worth $35 (but I know why it should be expensive)

Your problem is: WD doesn't have a web filter (but can be enabled via tweaks). Malwarebytes has a relatively good web filter but everything else is weak

My recommendation:
- WD: enable web filter
- VS free
- Install a security chrome/firefox web filter: avira browser safety or norton safe web
- Use norton DNS and/or AdguardDNS (has google safe browsing API) because they have malware protection capability
(- OSArmor: default settings)

you can save a lot of money and system resources with this setup. Everything is free a you have so many layers of security

Last edited:

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Why do we have to spend our money to >= 2 security products? I think we should spend maximum 1 because paid products don't garantee better protection, sometimes worse than free solutions and we spend money for something we don't need or our paranoia

€34 for Heimdal Pro definitely not worth any penny, IMO. It should cost max $20 or $10-15
even HMPA isn't worth $35 (but I know why it should be expensive)

Your problem is: WD doesn't have a web filter (but can be enabled via tweaks). Malwarebytes has a relatively good web filter but everything else is weak

My recommendation:
- WD: enable web filter
- VS free
- Install a security chrome/firefox web filter: avira browser safety or norton safe web
- Use norton DNS and/or AdguardDNS (has google safe browsing API) because they have malware protection capability
(- OSArmor: default settings)

you can save a lot of money and system resources with this setup. Everything is free a you have so many layers of security

WD: Good one, Im still using it.
VS Free: crash on my laptop after running for over a year. Seem conflicting with some of my software but I don't bother to find it out.
Avira Broswer Safety or Norton Safe Web: bloaty + Why you don't need Avira Browser Safety
Adguard: I'm still using

The main difference on your recommendation and my current setup is my usage and surfing habits. And which is why I prefer to pay for my family's security.
Plus supporting a software goes a long way for a better development for the product.
IMO, A free stuff advocate should just use linux instead of windows btw.

Reactions: AtlBo and plat1098

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
carsten ibsen I think you wasted your money.
Heimdal doesn't provide anything special!not worth it even for free:D Pls someone shows me a test that Heimdal blocked some targeted attacks. this is what they claim(a 2nd generation software to defend you against targeted attack haha)but what about the proof?it cants even block a simple phishing page! to me it's only a DNS like Norton dns+avira browser extension. nothing more Or get a firewall like Eset which has IDS! I believe it works better than Heimdal.34$ is also high price!

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Avira Broswer Safety or Norton Safe Web: bloaty + Why you don't need Avira Browser Safety
that thread is valid when we have a good AV with good web filter. It becomes irrelevant if we don't have a good web filter, such as WD

furthermore, I disagreed with some of his points because we can disable wtlhat we don't want and these extensions can reduce chance of getting infection by some %. If it doesn't consume a significant amount of resources, I don't see a reason why not to keep them especially norton safe web because it consumes <7 of CPU when I tried to open 20 tabs at the same time and when they are fully loaded, it went back to 0%

I heard many people complaint about heimdal pro resource usage (constant ~13% CPU usage) and there is no trial avaiable for it so I could try it (recently they allow to try). The free version is useless. In the end, not impressive for me

I have been using avast free (tweaked) + avira browser safety + unchecky + ublock with antimalware filters with some windows's modifications to reduce infecting vectors. I let my family do whatever they want (recklessly) and we haven't got infected for many years

Last edited:

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I have used it for about a year now, it fits seamlessly into my multi-layer security configuration, it is like the outer layer that can block stuff before it ever reaches my AV defense.
It blocks some of the items I tested here https://www.amtso.org/feature-settings-check-for-desktop-solutions/ and about everything here Test Malware! for example.

However it will use some resources mine has five apps running using about 200mb of ram and according to performance monitor they have a combined average of about 0.871 CPU usage idle.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I'm sorry to say that this application is irrelevant to me. and Consume resources that I am not willing to waste. ( it is my opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.