Hello Viruses. Is Windows Defender any good?

Is Windows Defender (Windows 8.1) enough to protect a PC?

• Yes

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 74.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nastynate

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2014
Make a long story short I been using Windows Defender quite awhile (maybe 3 months) and I've liked it very low on resources , very light and compatible with majority all apps on windows. So i've noticed strange memory usage lately (mind you i have ddr312gb of ram) and thought maybe some app on my pc been having a memory leak but i was like hell with it. So I've visited the war room plenty occasions and alot of people been recommending Emisosft so I was like I'll download it even though I was confident that I didn't have any virus. My lord when I went to do a full scan you wouldn't believe what I saw. Won't be using Windows Defender no more.

quGJYDH.png

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Another thread.
It's NOT that Windows Defender cannot protect a PC user, it's the fact that a PC user cannot navigate the Internet without getting themselves infected, or are ignorant to any warnings.

Before you switched to Windows 8,
- What OS did you use?
- Which web browser?
- Are you signed into your Chrome browser with a Google Account*?

It's possible that these Adware infections may return, https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=172455

You may wish to uninstall Chrome and then run the SRT (beta), https://www.google.com/chrome/srt/

*Remember to delete/remove your Chrome Sync data (via Google Dashboard). More info: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1181035

Bonus software to help prevent unwanted toolbars or PUP in the future, http://unchecky.com . Unchecky uses almost no resources and operates silently in the background.

Share with us your Computer Knowledge and Security software, by visiting the Security Config. Wizard. http://malwaretips.com/forums/security-configuration-wizard.12/
Remember to use your username in the thread title, and not "my config".

nastynate

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2014
OS Before : Windows 7 Ultimate
Web Browser : Google Chrome
Yes i'm signed into my google account.

Thanks for the information and help :)

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
From the looks of it, you have been going on quite a party on the Internet. It is not Microsoft's fault you got infected. Your description suggests that you have extremely unsafe browsing habits and no antivirus can protect you. If you check here, many people are using Microsoft Windows Defender and have not been infected for years.

GabiCRX

Level 8
Verified
Jun 24, 2011
Your full scan it's a proof that Windows Defender it's not good at all.
Keep using Emsisoft Internet Security, and you can add Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, herdProtect, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, FMA CBAD Anti-Malware and McShield USB Protection.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Blaming a user for getting infected when they use a substandard product is like blaming a person for getting into an accident for driving an auto that came from the factory with defective brakes.

The goal of any antimalware application should be to protect those who can't protect themselves. Windows Defender does not come close to achieving that goal.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
Blaming the car for a crash when the driver is a sot drunk who texts while driving and doesn't even buckle up is also wrong. Also note Google Chrome would have warned about those adware bits.

Last edited:

GabiCRX

Level 8
Verified
Jun 24, 2011
Blaming a user for getting infected when they use a substandard product is like blaming a person for getting into an accident for driving an auto that came from the factory with defective brakes.

The goal of any antimalware application should be to protect those who can't protect themselves. Windows Defender does not come close to achieving that goal.

If you're still using Windows Defender and get infected it's your fault, because threats evolve every day and can easily bypass products like Windows Defender, you must learn to use products like Comodo, Malwarebytes, herdProtect or Emsisoft, otherwise your PC will become a virus kindergarden.

Reactions: Billcomputerman123

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Any PC user can get infected, even Emisosft, Avast and Comodo Internet Security users. Doesn't matter what AV product you're using, if the user fails to recognises the signs, then they're prone to infections. Although some leeway should be given to Adware/PUPs, they aren't highly detected by many vendors, for example, it's disabled by default in Avast Antivirus.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Obviously some programs are better than others but there is no program that is 100% full proof.If there was we could probably get rid of half the forums on this site.
There are many who use Windows Defender,UAC,Smartscreen & firewall that never get infected.Education,safe browsing habits,common sense and always remaining cautious will go a long way in preventing an infection.
Somebody mentioned Sandboxie,this is one of the best programs in preventing malware from entering your PC.

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
For people who say, I've been using MSE or Windows defender and "NEVER BEEN INFECTED", this is a good story to read.

But *long story* short, you'll never know that you're infected, because MSE is that poor.
Everyone, regardless of what AV you use, must scan with 2nd opinion software occasionally to be sure that are not infected. Also, see if you have malware is running in memory.

thepierrezou

Level 8
Verified
Sep 25, 2013
Windows defender it's just useless don't use it.
Comon sense is the best antivirus but MSE is the worst antivirus ever.But antivirus who steal detection and data are even worst ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.