Hello, what are your Interests? Do you have Dream Career, or Job Goals?

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Hello :)

I'm here because I like to keep up with general PC and AV software stuff.
I didn't realize how much this forum opens up and all that you have to offer here until I signed up and the home page loaded with all the information and links.
Well done, very nice forum :)

Dodd99

May 25, 2023
Hi, I'm new to the forum, currently early in a Cyber Security Compliance role, and wanted to gain more knowledge in the world of Cyber Security. I am currently taking a course which led me to this forum. Look forward to reading, engaging, and learning from everyone. Thank you.

forty4seven

Aug 8, 2023
Hey Friends & Cybersec Enthusiasts.

My name is Kamil, and I'm a computer science student. Currently, I'm working part-time as a penetration tester.
I'm trying to improve my skillset by working on my OSCP and developing some shitty tools and software. :LOL:

Nice to meet you all! <3

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023
I'm 15 right now, and am currently beginning to learn how to code. I want to eventually get a Cybersecurity position and learn how to analyze malware.
What steps should I take to get into Cybersecurity and also learning how to analyze malware?
If this is the wrong channel, I apologize.

Reactions: Andrew999

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
That's great to hear that you want to pursue a career in cybersecurity and analyze malware! Here are some steps you can take:

1. Build a solid foundation in computer science and coding by learning languages such as Python, C++, or Java.
2. Gain a good understanding of networking and operating systems.
3. Familiarize yourself with cybersecurity concepts, practices, and frameworks by taking online courses or attending workshops. Coursera, Udemy, and edX offer many cybersecurity courses.
4. Set up a virtual lab environment to practice and experiment with different cybersecurity tools and techniques. VMware or VirtualBox are good options for this.
5. Start studying and experimenting with basic malware analysis techniques. Resources like "The Practice of Network Security Monitoring" by Richard Bejtlich or "Practical Malware Analysis" by Michael Sikorski and Andrew Honig can be helpful in this regard.
6. Join online communities and forums related to cybersecurity and malware analysis to connect with like-minded individuals and learn from their experiences.
7. Participate in Capture the Flag (CTF) competitions to challenge your skills and gain real-world experience in solving security challenges.
8. Consider pursuing cybersecurity certifications like CompTIA Security+, Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), or Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) to validate your knowledge and skills.
9. Stay up to date with the latest trends and news in cybersecurity, follow blogs, subscribe to relevant newsletters, and attend conferences or webinars.

Remember, cybersecurity is a vast field, so continue exploring different areas to find your niche. Good luck on your cybersecurity journey!

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Come to terms with the facts; 1. You will NEVER get ahead of the curve. 2. There will ALWAYS be someone who knows more than you.

Other than that, @Bot got it pretty well bang-on I think.

Most of all... enjoy yourself. Electronics is an awesome field to work in.

Best wishes...

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
Start with learning how to program. For malware analysis learning C is a good start. People generally recommend this book: The C Programming Language - Wikipedia
The goal should be that you are able to program your own small applications.

Get yourself familiar with x86 assembly. It integrates very well with C. The goal here is that you can read and understand assembly when you see it.

Then you are ready to dive into malware analysis and reversing topics. For beginners the book "Practical Malware Analysis" by Honig and Sikorsky is good. I am also currently working on a course that should be available in 2 months (latest).

You might have to brush up on Windows Internals as well, like what is the registry, how is it built up, what is a process, what is a thread, how is it possible to autostart, what is a service etc. Some malware analysis courses will cover those topics, but you can check out this channel too for the Windows Internals: https://www.youtube.com/@TechsavvyProductions

Once you have basic analysis skills you can challenge yourself by downloading samples from unpac.me or malshare and try to reverse them. Some people also like CTFs, which are reverse engineering challenges. I personally don't like them, though, because they are so artificial. But that is a matter of taste.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

1. Introduction course from Harvard University from one of the best code teachers:

2. This one (from Google) ia also free on Coursera adds some practice on security (like 1)

3. This one from the EU supported ISC2 also free on Coursere is good for starters

4. A follow up course from ISC2 which preps you for the official Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP)

This will keep you busy for at least one or two years :) and prep's you for some well recognised certificates in the industry

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteMouse

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2017
Start with learning how to program. For malware analysis learning C is a good start. People generally recommend this book: The C Programming Language - Wikipedia
The goal should be that you are able to program your own small applications.

Get yourself familiar with x86 assembly. It integrates very well with C. The goal here is that you can read and understand assembly when you see it.

Then you are ready to dive into malware analysis and reversing topics. For beginners the book "Practical Malware Analysis" by Honig and Sikorsky is good. I am also currently working on a course that should be available in 2 months (latest).

You might have to brush up on Windows Internals as well, like what is the registry, how is it built up, what is a process, what is a thread, how is it possible to autostart, what is a service etc. Some malware analysis courses will cover those topics, but you can check out this channel too for the Windows Internals: https://www.youtube.com/@TechsavvyProductions

Once you have basic analysis skills you can challenge yourself by downloading samples from unpac.me or malshare and try to reverse them. Some people also like CTFs, which are reverse engineering challenges. I personally don't like them, though, because they are so artificial. But that is a matter of taste.
Most of books and courses I found on the Internet have either of 2 following issues or both:
  • They are not beginner friendly.
  • They use tools that out of date, I can't even find them on flare-vm.
The only exception is Malware Analysis and Detection Engineering that you reviewed 2 years ago. All you need to know before reading that book is how to use the keyboard and mouse.
Cyber security is not easy get in, even entry level cyber security is extremely difficult to get in. You are going to need a bachelor degree, and maybe a master degree in cyber security + min 5 years work experience just to get into the door.
It's fun that's why I learned it. And OP is just 15 so they still have a chance to get into industry.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I'm 15 right now, and am currently beginning to learn how to code. I want to eventually get a Cybersecurity position and learn how to analyze malware.
What steps should I take to get into Cybersecurity and also learning how to analyze malware?
Xeno- You are at the most perfect age to ask that question. Although the below applies to the US, I’m sure other countries would parallel it:

1). Absolutely and always study hard in your current schooling. You will need rocking grades to get into a quality University.
2). But in the meantime, keep coding on your own and read as much as you can (if not initially understandable, it will come to you as you proceed).
3). Coding and reading about coding MUST BE FUN for you; failing to find it so really will limit how much can be achieved.
4). If you did well in your studies and were accepted to a reputable University and do well there, then you are pretty much set already as THEY will come for YOU (trust me).
5). If for whatever reason a university is a no-go for you, then please consider the Military. They have the best toys and will train you, and is also a fantastic place to Network with others. And once again, do well here and THEY will come for YOU (double Trust me on that one!).
6). If the above paths worked out, then there is no further issue. The only annoyance would be the amount of headhunters trying to make you leave where you are and go somewhere else (for a significant financial and ego boosting increase).

Bon Courage!

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023
Xeno- You are at the most perfect age to ask that question. Although the below applies to the US, I’m sure other countries would parallel it:

1). Absolutely and always study hard in your current schooling. You will need rocking grades to get into a quality University.
2). But in the meantime, keep coding on your own and read as much as you can (if not initially understandable, it will come to you as you proceed).
3). Coding and reading about coding MUST BE FUN for you; failing to find it so really will limit how much can be achieved.
4). If you did well in your studies and were accepted to a reputable University and do well there, then you are pretty much set already as THEY will come for YOU (trust me).
5). If for whatever reason a university is a no-go for you, then please consider the Military. They have the best toys and will train you, and is also a fantastic place to Network with others. And once again, do well here and THEY will come for YOU (double Trust me on that one!).
6). If the above paths worked out, then there is no further issue. The only annoyance would be the amount of headhunters trying to make you leave where you are and go somewhere else (for a significant financial and ego boosting increase).

Bon Courage!
In terms of universities, I’ve not fully been looking at what college I want to go to YET - I think I have a bit of time. But currently I’m looking at UK or UofL since I live in Kentucky. I believe they have good computer science programs which I THINK should help me in terms of cybersecurity and code analysis.

I’ve yet to find a college that offers a cybersecurity degree here, and for budget reasons I can’t really go out of state.

Last edited:
Reactions: simmerskool

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023
Cyber security is not easy get in, even entry level cyber security is extremely difficult to get in. You are going to need a bachelor degree, and maybe a master degree in cyber security + min 5 years work experience just to get into the door.
When you say work experience, do you mean in that specific field, or any field in general. I don’t know how I’m supposed to get experience if it’s my first job in the field.

partha_roy

Level 3
Well-known
Oct 16, 2022
you could take up a course from a trusted platform like Udemy; they have some really nice & comprehensive courses in cyber security, especially ethical hacking in case you are interested in that field of cyber security

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023
you could take up a course from a trusted platform like Udemy; they have some really nice & comprehensive courses in cyber security, especially ethical hacking in case you are interested in that field of cyber security
At the current moment, I plan on learning multiple coding languages (I know for sure I want to do something within the realm of code development), but I also want to take some malware analysis courses, and a bit of ethical hacking (maybe more if im interested). At the current moment im taking a Computer Science class which tells me how to learn Java, Python, and Game Development.

partha_roy

Level 3
Well-known
Oct 16, 2022
At the current moment, I plan on learning multiple coding languages (I know for sure I want to do something within the realm of code development), but I also want to take some malware analysis courses, and a bit of ethical hacking (maybe more if im interested). At the current moment im taking a Computer Science class which tells me how to learn Java, Python, and Game Development.
If you intend to pursue a career around coding, you will need to learn it through a university in my view; here in India, we have a B.Sc program with majors in Computer Science, a degree that I happen to hold and it is kind of considered a requirement here

Not sure how things work in your country; perhaps you can take suggestions from an Education Counsellor or your teachers in school

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023
If you intend to pursue a career around coding, you will need to learn it through a university in my view; here in India, we have a B.Sc program with majors in Computer Science, a degree that I happen to hold and it is kind of considered a requirement here

Not sure how things work in your country; perhaps you can take suggestions from an Education Counsellor or your teachers in school
I might. Currently taking a Computer Class in HS which teaches Java and Python "basics". In college, im going to either take a Computer Science class or Cybersecurity. Not sure yet, but I have enough time to research and decide.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
fwiw I took a computer science class in university, learned / studied Fortran punching IBM cards... not sure how it was done before that, if there was a before "that" :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Nevi and partha_roy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.