Hello World: Windows 10 Available on July 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Here we go, hopefully I can manage to upgrade without issues. This OS should be the solver of most complaining issues we see/heard around since Windows 8 became primetime. :)

Rohugh

Level 2
Verified
Jul 11, 2014
Here we go, hopefully I can manage to upgrade without issues. This OS should be the solver of most complaining issues we see/heard around since Windows 8 became primetime. :)

I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 preview, all my programs and documents remained intact and the upgrade was smooth and trouble free - albeit a bit slow. There is still a fair bit of polishing and optimizing to do but I like the new OS. :)

Reactions: frogboy

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 preview, all my programs and documents remained intact and the upgrade was smooth and trouble free - albeit a bit slow. There is still a fair bit of polishing and optimizing to do but I like the new OS. :)
Thanks for this info as i was wondering about all my softwares. ;):D

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
There are a lot of bugs in windows 10. i doubt it will become stable two months.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
There are still bugs in 7 likely, but MS isn't going to sit on its laurels until things are absolutely perfect. The last thing they want though is another 8 debacle, so I wouldn't worry too much. What they don't get right in July, they'll use a Patch Tuesday to fix up.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
I must have missed that..that's..*teardrop*..beautiful. Of course, with security updates that might mean we get them more often, lol. At least with Tuesday I knew ahead of time I'd have to stop everything I was doing to reboot the thing.

Rohugh

Level 2
Verified
Jul 11, 2014
At least with Tuesday I knew ahead of time I'd have to stop everything I was doing to reboot the thing.

You can schedule when to update.

2015-06-01_172444.jpg

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
Well sure, you could always do that. I was just thinking that these updates would be more frequent since there would no longer be a single day set aside for them. Either way, at least I won't fear Tuesdays anymore :D

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I am certainly not changing from Windows 81, A) my mum always told me never buy a new car, let them iron out the creases for a good 6-12 months. B) because the hospital's software will never work on Windows 10

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
Yeah, I'm sure a lot of corporations and such will be behind again. By the time they're ready to push forward, the next Windows will be out.

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
i did not like the windows 10 taskbar theme. hard to tell which application is running and which one is not

windows 10 taskbar.jpg

windows 8.1 taskbar theme is better

windows 8.1  taskbar.jpg

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
So I did some checking on updates and, with the Pro and higher versions, you can set aside updates for a later time. For the Home versions, you have no choice at all and will download and apply them the moment they are available. That. Freaking. Sucks. Too many times over the last couple of months, updates have caused issues for people that needed to be resolved by another update. Some of these even caused instability. So, you're now telling me MS that if you screw something up people might be hosed until you fix it God knows when? Do not like. Source for my oncerns: http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/8696949/windows-10-feature-loss

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I could not agree more i.e., KB3022345 caused file corruptions to loads of users, which required a hot fix, which I had to use. Microsoft should not be able to just install stuff on to your computer, without your knowledge. If I could upgrade, I would buy the Pro version. Microsoft are more like the NSA, they install stuff whenever they like.

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
They are using slow ring and fast ring for updates

A new approach to updates and upgrades
the most revolutionary change in Windows 10 is the concept of continuous improvement.
New features are delivered through Windows Update rather than being set aside for the next major
release. In a major change of longstanding best practices, Microsoft now recommends that enterprise
customers enable Windows Update for the majority of users, although the option to use Windows Server
Update Services (WSUS) might still be available for some configurations.

In the Windows 10 Technical Preview, the more-or-less monthly new builds are delivered through Windows Update. Participants in the preview program can choose between two update speeds, also known as rings. Choosing the Fast ring makes new builds available as soon as they’re released by Microsoft; opting for the Slow ring delays the availability of a new build until it’s been thoroughly vetted
by the Fast ring, with any bugs addressed via interim updates.

When Microsoft officially releases Windows 10 to the public, the preview program won’t end. Members of the Windows Insider program will continue to receive early access to new updates, using the same Fast and Slow rings. Windows users who are not part of the preview program will receive updates for what’s known as the “Current Branch.” In addition, Microsoft has committed to an additional approach for enterprise customers who want a more stable environment, with a “Current Branch for Business” that is several months behind the consumer releases as well as “Long Term Servicing” branches that are appropriate for mission-critical applications.

read this
Introducing Windows 10 for IT Professionals, Preview Edition
http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/ebooks#9780735696969

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
If I could upgrade, I would buy the Pro version.

I wait for windows 10 official release. I don't like wasting money to purchase windows 10 key. I also don't like upgrading from windows 7/8.1 to windows 10 as Microsoft says. The best way to get the genuine retails keys is microsoft dreamspark premium for students. But you have to be a student or administrator of dreamspark premium ( I have a friend who is the administrator at his university. I hope he will help me :)...)
IMG0000.jpg

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I am certainly not changing from Windows 81, A) my mum always told me never buy a new car, let them iron out the creases for a good 6-12 months. B) because the hospital's software will never work on Windows 10
I will probably keep my Windows 7 installations and upgrade the Windows 8.1 installations that I have dual booted with Windows 7.Those Windows 8.1 installations I have on newer machines I will probably upgrade.
I agree 100% with you on institutions not using Windows 10. Since many Institutions,Government Agencies and businesses have just recently (within the last year) upgraded from XP to 7,I cannot see them making a big move to 10 since they didn't make the move to Windows 8 either.Although Windows 10 seems to be better than 8 was it still strikes me as an OS that would be a huge departure from Windows 7 and not as comfortable as the move from XP to 7.I imagine in the coming years they will be forced to move from Windows 7 but I cannot see them jumping to Windows 10.
On the flip side those home users that finally got accustomed to Windows 8.1 might be skid dish about jumping to Windows 10 for fear of the same problems they encountered when moving from 7 to 8.
We will see in about 2 months!!

Reactions: Secondmineboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.