Troubleshoot Help me regarding virtual box security leak.

SUPRA

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 26, 2016
I have virtual box latest version installed on my pc with windows 10 as my virtual box os. Now I have faced a wired issue I have Eset Internet Security on my host pc, while I am trying to download Power ISO on clicking the download link it get's block. Now while I try to download Power ISO on my virtual box it get's blocked again by my host antivirus inside the virtual box while there is no antivirus installed other than windows defender. So is there any security leak or it is just normal that eset can also intercept inside virtual box.

Also please suggest best configuration for virtual box. Also how to completely isolate Vm from my host PC.

Thank You

Last edited:

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Yes what I have heard and experienced if there is a Virus or something on the VM the host's Antivirus can block it even if it is not installed on the VM. This is what happend to me with Kaspersky. I downloaded something from a malicious site and Kaspersky on my host blocked it. Also it happend with extracting malware files.

Reactions: SUPRA
Upvote 0

SUPRA

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 26, 2016
Yes what I have heard and experienced if there is a Virus or something on the VM the host's Antivirus can block it even if it is not installed on the VM. This is what happend to me with Kaspersky. I downloaded something from a malicious site and Kaspersky on my host blocked it. Also it happend with extracting malware files.

So is it normal or it is an issue this means that VM is not totally isolated from the main system.

Upvote 0

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
So is it normal or it is an issue this means that VM is not totally isolated from the main system.
I think it is totaly isolated from your host. Just make sure your drag and drop and shared clipboard is host to guest or disabled otherwise malware can move from the VM to the Host, but you probably already know that anyway. :)

Reactions: SUPRA
Upvote 0

SUPRA

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 26, 2016
I think it is totaly isolated from your host. Just make sure your drag and drop and shared clipboard is host to guest or disabled otherwise malware can move from the VM to the Host, but you probably already know that anyway. :)

Yes they are disabled so virtual box is leaking something or it is just safe???

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have virtual box latest version installed on my pc with windows 10 as my virtual box os. Now I have faced a wired issue I have Eset Internet Security on my host pc, while I am trying to download Power ISO on clicking the download link it get's block. Now while I try to download Power ISO on my virtual box it get's blocked again by my host antivirus inside the virtual box while there is no antivirus installed other than windows defender. So is there any security leak or it is just normal that eset can also intercept inside virtual box.

Also please suggest best configuration for virtual box. Also how to completely isolate Vm from my host PC.

Thank You
Your host machine is managing the internet connection, so that's why your AV is getting involved. The guest machine needs to use the hardware resources of the host machine, one of which is your internet connection.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 65228

The Virtual Environment you're using isn't leaking, and it isn't compromised. Virtual Machines do virtualise an ISO image to provide a virtualised OS environment which you can use to separate actions from affecting your Host environment (the Guest environment is the virtualised one), however the Virtual Machine will still need to store data for it on the local Host. This doesn't mean malware can drop within your Guest environment and then have the dropped files executed on your Host, it simply doesn't work like this. It neither means the software executing under the Guest environment can access the Host.

It's normal for security software to be able to intervene like you are querying about. This is an indicator that your protection which is active on your Host environment is working correctly, but also that the security software solution you're relying on has well-made and good technology behind it. You can try white-listing the Virtual Machines processes and see if that helps, but I'd suggest not doing this.

The web-protection component of your security software should also be able to intervene the connections from within the Guest environment to block malicious URLs it would normally flag as-is coming from your Host. This would be because they tend to rely on a networking device driver and all connections being performed within the Guest environment must pass through the Host to be carried out, and thus will pass through the security software interception.

ESET and no other vendor which can intervene with Virtual Machine file-system/network operations don't do anything additional to intervene with it. Its to do with how the Virtual Machine software works.

Upvote 0

SUPRA

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 26, 2016
Your host machine is managing the internet connection, so that's why your AV is getting involved. The guest machine needs to use the hardware resources of the host machine, one of which is your internet connection.
Thank You very much.
The Virtual Environment you're using isn't leaking, and it isn't compromised. Virtual Machines do virtualise an ISO image to provide a virtualised OS environment which you can use to separate actions from affecting your Host environment (the Guest environment is the virtualised one), however the Virtual Machine will still need to store data for it on the local Host. This doesn't mean malware can drop within your Guest environment and then have the dropped files executed on your Host, it simply doesn't work like this. It neither means the software executing under the Guest environment can access the Host.

It's normal for security software to be able to intervene like you are querying about. This is an indicator that your protection which is active on your Host environment is working correctly, but also that the security software solution you're relying on has well-made and good technology behind it. You can try white-listing the Virtual Machines processes and see if that helps, but I'd suggest not doing this.

The web-protection component of your security software should also be able to intervene the connections from within the Guest environment to block malicious URLs it would normally flag as-is coming from your Host. This would be because they tend to rely on a networking device driver and all connections being performed within the Guest environment must pass through the Host to be carried out, and thus will pass through the security software interception.

ESET and no other vendor which can intervene with Virtual Machine file-system/network operations don't do anything additional to intervene with it. Its to do with how the Virtual Machine software works.

Thank you very much for clearing my confusion.

Upvote 0

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
I use Virtual Box with Windows 10 Enterprise as the guest. If I open a browser in VB, I see a connection to the internet for VB.
Before testing malware, I put my computer in Shadow mode, then open up my VM just to make sure.(y)

Reactions: upnorth
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.