Help Me With An Easy Security Set up

dannythesquirrel

Thread author
Oct 24, 2015
Hi everyone,

I've had a computer for the last 5 years and in that time I've found myself tweaking my machine and buying/testing various security programs and apps. I've got a Windows 7 64bit Machine so I've mainly been using MSE but I do find it's low detection rates alarming and I'd like something a bit better. The problem is I'm really struggling to find an antivirus that I can get on well with.

My big problem with a/v is that I feel they take up a lot of resources and slows down your machine, they stop legitimate programs from working but yet when you test them against fairly new malware, it often misses it and lets it run.

I'm mainly a gamer and I use Steam so that's where most of my downloads come from and if I ever download anything from my browser I'll scan it at Virus Total before allowing it to run. I have UAC at the highest and I try and keep my system up to date.

I've got licenses for programs like Sandboxie, Appguard, Shadow Defender and EXE Rada Pro but I'm not sure how much they help me beyond making my pc more difficult to use. I remember spending 4 hours on a game getting through this really difficult part only to find out I was in Shadow Mode in Shadow Defender lol.

I'd really appreciate any advice, thank you :)

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
If you are after a freeware i would suggest either Avira or Avast. ;)

Paid either Eset or Norton.

Reactions: dannythesquirrel

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
It depends on if your looking for a Paid or free AV.Or a Security Suite.
Since you already have some licenses there are few combos that would work for you
ESET Smart Security runs well with a gaming rig and has a gamer mode.This is a paid security suite however
For a free AV in your situation Avast with Windows Firewall would be a good combo
Sandboxie will not effect gaming and will benefit your security.Browsing and downloading
You can also consider some free backup solutions.
Shadow defender should also not effect resources or gaming and is really an excellent program this should help with setting up and running it Shadow Defender Home Page - the easiest PC security and privacy tool
Some on demand scanners such as Malwarebytes Antimalware,ESET Online Scanner,Emsisoft Emergency Kit,etc. are run on demand and not in real time so having two or three for scanning purposes will have no system effect
I would suggest posting your full security configuration here for some advice on setups that will work for you Security Configuration Wizard

Reactions: dannythesquirrel

dannythesquirrel

Thread author
Oct 24, 2015
I don't mind paying for a product if it's worth the money. I have heard lots of good things about Eset so I tried Nod32 but I found that when I tried to run anything, there was a delay of about 4-5 seconds before it would open up. Is this something that happens only at first or will it leave my system running with that delay forever?

Other a/v's I've considered are F-Secure Anti-Virus, Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Webroot.

Ideally I'd like to find an a/v that is as light on my system as MSE or Bitdefender Free but is as effective as Kaspersky. I don't need a lot features because I think I've got the browsing covered with Sandboxie. I'm just after a solid a/v engine that will protect my system in case I get infected. Maybe I'm being unrealistic and a little naive to have such expectations.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Hi everyone,

I've had a computer for the last 5 years and in that time I've found myself tweaking my machine and buying/testing various security programs and apps. I've got a Windows 7 64bit Machine so I've mainly been using MSE but I do find it's low detection rates alarming and I'd like something a bit better. The problem is I'm really struggling to find an antivirus that I can get on well with.

My big problem with a/v is that I feel they take up a lot of resources and slows down your machine, they stop legitimate programs from working but yet when you test them against fairly new malware, it often misses it and lets it run.

I'm mainly a gamer and I use Steam so that's where most of my downloads come from and if I ever download anything from my browser I'll scan it at Virus Total before allowing it to run. I have UAC at the highest and I try and keep my system up to date.

I've got licenses for programs like Sandboxie, Appguard, Shadow Defender and EXE Rada Pro but I'm not sure how much they help me beyond making my pc more difficult to use. I remember spending 4 hours on a game getting through this really difficult part only to find out I was in Shadow Mode in Shadow Defender lol.

I'd really appreciate any advice, thank you :)
I recommend:

Free - Avast Free AV & Comodo Fiewall
Paid - Avast Internet Security or Premier

(Make sure to tweak heuristics, packers and HIPS to high.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.