• Total voters

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I'll leave 4 possible votes open, since I want different variations on 4 different computers. I'm open to any suggestions or advice.

Trying to decide which Antivirus to pick for security on 4 or 5! computers, including 2 PC's of my family. I'm thinking for sure CIS, for one of my brothers laptop or desktop. Then he should upgrade the old MSE.

Unsure about Qhioo for my own reasons. False Positives, and more engines means more RAM used.

Two PC's have nothing but Windows FW, one only Comodo FW. and ones nothing the (Linux Mint)

Its a damn mess. lol. ;)

Last edited:

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Comodo Internet Security will be used on at least 1 PC.

I have AVG key I can get from frogboy if I want it, and there's a Panda giveaway for 6 months (not sure if its working for anyone yet)

One sealed.

Two nearly decided, lets keep it rolling.

What is stronger or lighter, for Windows 7 SP1 (All patches updated)
Avira free default + Private / Avira + Comodo Firewall? or Avast + PFW CFW Default?

I'm leaning twards Avira due to strong signatures, and no registration email required,... but Ive used and liked both!

Last edited:

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
These 4 are my original ideas, and what I voted on. Windows 7, Linux Mint and XP still need a main AV protection.

AVG Free + Comodo Firewall
Comodo Internet Security (Chosen for one XP laptop)
Avira + Crystal Security
AVG Internet Security 2015

What I'm on now,
Windows Defender / Windows Firewall
AVG free / Windows Firewall

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Crystal Security is a way to go for such consideration to add for your configuration + Comodo Firewall.

Unless go to the simplified enhancement tool for WF.

Next to consider is Avast Free which you can configure the way how it behaves due to numerous certain features.

mal1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
Interesting combinations! I'm torn between Avast, Avira and Panda + Windows or private firewall + a companion (preferably cloud-based) AV.

I'm looking forward to reading more suggestions.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
You can try Avira Free + Comodo FW or Private FW
I think these combination will provide you a good level of protection;)

Private Firewall seems much lighter to run alongside Avira. :)

PFW ...I never used it more then one day... I always went with Comodo's but this one is so light like Windows but with more options, settings and filtering.

Way better, works well with Avast (set HIPS on 3 and you will have a small fortress).

You said it.
Avast and Private I plan to use in future :) Its a great combo and Private seems lighter then any other firewall isnt it?

Have you tried Zone Alarms firewall before?

Last edited by a moderator:

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
I tell you true power...

Go SpyShelterFW with ZemanaAntiMalware (if experience come with time than go add Shadow Defender, if SD is brutal for your usage go Sandboxie)

HIPS + FW and resctricion with keyencryption does well job..
Zemana with copules av database like: Avira, Eset...

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
How does Private Firewall stand next to Comodo's in terms of install and resourses?

Super light. The installer is 8 MB compared to 200 MB for CIS. The service uses less than 1K of RAM, while the GUI uses about 19k on this system. With all my rules (3 years worth), the PF install is at about 10.5 MB.

with Private Firewall I have more control.

This seems to me to be a good description of PF. You want to easily block a process from connecting the internet? Go to applications and change existing rule(s) or add one if one doesn't exist. I feel too that with PF it's all about control. With Comodo it's all about trusting Comodo.

Private Firewall seems much lighter to run alongside Avira. :)

It is light next to avast and 360 I can say for sure. Actually, if you really like 360 maybe this would bring it back into the equation for you. 360 is the a-v I am using. I plan to take another look at the newest avast, which I have on one PC, but I haven't had time, yet. I run PF on 3 PCs here.

Had my ups and downs with PF (all of it my silly paranoias with the exception of Windows processes promiscuosnesses (like svchost and oh so many others like FTP.exe and so on)), but if you learn to cycle through the processes once in awhile to check what you have approved, you can learn to tailor your decisions better and achieve higher security and security that fits your requirement quite precisely. Also, cycle through your Application connections. Check to make sure you aren't allowing anything to connect via ports to the net that you don't absolutely need. I blacked out IE, because I don't use it ever. Also, I black out programs now when I install them or when they ask to connect. If I want to update I can hit the button and answer the pop up to allow.

Best thing about PF, it will help you learn about your system and about securing a PC. It's more valuable that Comodo in that way Also, after time, you will find that you can begin to allow or block behaviors and/or connections more and more only once. Then you can wait to see the result. At this point for me, I know what to expect, and the PF lists are fairly short and easy to look after...

BTW, I like Comodo. If the settings GUI were more visually oriented and then clearly divided between net controls and localized program behavior, I would switch for the extra features. I really like the secure desktop for example...

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
no need 4 different config for 4 computers... just use the combo you know best on all of them.

this is not the soft that secure you, but how you use them.

true BUT each PC has different specs... so Avira is good for the weaker older hardware, but on a better CPU/RAM I'd probably prefer Avast and/or Comodo.

I like to give different software uses now and then. I tested different combinations on security, and it helps to ask... or it does for me... cause I never woulda known about Private Firewall.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.