Help, Windows 7 won't boot

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
Hi and welcome to the malwaretips.com forums!

I'm Kuttus and I am going to try to assist you with your problem. Please take note of the below:
  • I will start working on your malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine!
  • The process is not instant. Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine is clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • Refrain from running self fixes as this will hinder the malware removal process.
  • It may prove beneficial if you print of the following instructions or save them to notepad as I post them.
Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.

Before we start:
Please be aware that removing malware is a potentially hazardous undertaking. I will take care not to knowingly suggest courses of action that might damage your computer. However it is impossible for me to foresee all interactions that may happen between the software on your computer and those we'll use to clear you of infection, and I cannot guarantee the safety of your system. It is possible that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system, or to necessitate you taking your computer to a repair shop.

Because of this, I advise you to backup any personal files and folders before you start.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you try to start the computer in Safe mode or in Last Know Good Configuration?

STEP 1 : Start your computer in Safe Mode with Networking
  1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.
  2. Press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts.Please keep in mind that you need to press the F8 key before the Windows start-up logo appears.
    Note: With some computers, if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you will get a stuck key message. If this occurs, instead of pressing and holding the "F8 key", tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the Advanced Boot Options screen.
  3. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode with Networking , and then press ENTER.
    safemode.jpg

jenna mel

Thread author
Verified
Jan 5, 2014
Yes, I have tried Safe Mode and Last Know Good Configuration, I get a Windows screen with moving logo then a blank screen with a white arrow. I can move the arrow with the mouse. I have left this screen on for hours with nothing. Thank you.

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
Let's do a system restore on your computer.

STEP 1 : System Restore from Recovery Console.

1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.
  2. Press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts.Please keep in mind that you need to press the F8 key before the Windows start-up logo appears.
    Note: With some computers, if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you will get a stuck key message. If this occurs, instead of pressing and holding the "F8 key", tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the Advanced Boot Options screen.
  3. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair Your Computer , and then press ENTER.
    repair-dual-boot-2.jpg
  4. Select your keyboard language preferences and click on Next.
  5. Select your user name and type in the password, and then click on OK.
  6. Select the option “System Restore and press enter.
  7. Now Select one Restore Point and restart your computer to a date where your computer was working fine..

jenna mel

Thread author
Verified
Jan 5, 2014
The computer runs a list of loading window files, then a message flashes for a second (didn't read it), then the blank screen with the white arrow. Thank you.

jenna mel

Thread author
Verified
Jan 5, 2014
Do you mean a system recovery?
When I choose repair your computer (above) I only get the blank screen and I let it run for an hour and a half and still a blank screen with no apparent hard drive movement.
I have tried a system recovery with Recovery of factory default software with user’s data. This ran all night and the next day an error message finally popped up saying the computer could not access the user's file/data or something like that. I have not tried a system recovery that will Recover to out-of-box state. Was hoping here to see if I could avoid that. Have about 2 gigs of music I was hoping to save. Thank you.

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
Do you see this Options? Step 4, 5 , 6, 7

Let's do a system restore on your computer.

STEP 1 : System Restore from Recovery Console.

3. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair Your Computer , and then press ENTER.
    repair-dual-boot-2.jpg
  4. Select your keyboard language preferences and click on Next.
  5. Select your user name and type in the password, and then click on OK.
  6. Select the option “System Restore and press enter.
  7. Now Select one Restore Point and restart your computer to a date where your computer was working fine..

jenna mel

Thread author
Verified
Jan 5, 2014
I don't have a Windows 7 CD. I saw on the Toshiba web site that I could order a start up disc using the serial number on the bottom of the computer.
When I tried to run the System restore that you are talking about the computer ran a list that said, "Loading Window Files", then a message flashed for a second (didn't read it), then the blank screen with the white arrow.
It did not give me the options you are showing.
I tried to do it again and now the computer is showing this error message:
Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 083)
Copyright (c) 1997-2000 Intel Co
For Atheros PCIA Ethernet Controller v2.0.2.3(02/18/10)
Check Cable connection!
PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel RXE ROM
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key
Please advise. Thank you.

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
It seems it is not detecting the Windows 7 or computer Hard drive....

Can you please try to run a scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool. You will need a USB (Flash) pendrive.

For x32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tooland save it to a flash drive.
For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Click on Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.
On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:
Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

• Select Command Prompt
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

jenna mel

Thread author
Verified
Jan 5, 2014
It (computer) won't let me enter this, no tapping F8 is going to get me there. I will try again in the morning. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

jenna mel

Thread author
Verified
Jan 5, 2014
Okay, thank you very much for your help on this. I removed the hard drive and cleaned a little green spot on the contacts. Now the computer is saying A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
Any ideas? Greatly appreciated!

jenna mel

Thread author
Verified
Jan 5, 2014
I tried to do a HHD recovery thru the Boot Menu, but it just went on and on for two hours. I tried to change the boot order through the Setup Utility to read the HHD first, but still got same message: A disk error occurred...

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
It seems your Hard Disk is not detecting or Corrupted. In this case please check it with a local computer shop. I suspect it is Damaged.

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
Download MHDD utility from here:
MHDD download link

Unpack and burn as ISO ...
Add and boot MHDD from disk ( in the same way as Live CD )

• When you load the file select option 1
  • When the menu appears, select the disk that you'll scan

Type in:
[

• ...and hit enter
  • In the next menu, click F4
  • It will begin HDD scanning, allow him to finish scan.
>> If there is more than 3 inputs in the district UNC X then your hard disk is damaged.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.