Help, Windows 7 won't boot

jenna mel

Thread author
Verified
Jan 5, 2014
I was able to make a windows 7 boot disk from my other computer. I set up the laptop to read CD ROM first thru boot menu. I ran the boot disk and was able to get to a c prompt. I typed in chkdsk /F c: and am currently repairing the hard drive. Not sure what will come of this. There are over 200 "Recovering orphaned file" entries and about 10 "Correcting error in index" entries. Can I run the above utility from USB or have to make a CD? Meanwhile may husband went and bought a new laptop. Maybe if I get this one running, I will have to sell it on ebay.

Last edited:

jenna mel

Thread author
Verified
Jan 5, 2014
Of course I got this error: Insufficient disk space to fix the usn journal $j data stream
I tried to run this command: fsutil usn deletejournal /D driveletter
but computer laughed, I mean: fsutil is not recognized as an internal or external command

kaljukass

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Of course I got this error: Insufficient disk space to fix the usn journal $j data stream
I tried to run this command: fsutil usn deletejournal /D driveletter
but computer laughed, I mean: fsutil is not recognized as an internal or external command
I recommend you save your important documents, if it is still possible. And then do a clean re-installation. In future recommend you to remember that in general can never improve the defective or damaged windows. This is just self-deception.
Experience: about 15 years, from XP to Windows 8.1. and mostly 24/7

Reactions: jenna mel

jenna mel

Thread author
Verified
Jan 5, 2014
I was able to put all my important documents on a USB while this thing was going down, but I could only save about 20% of my music. It was taking hours to transfer using an Ethernet cable and the computer would lock up. I purchased the Recovery disks from Toshiba, but I am hoping I can still save the music. I see that you can purchase a hard drive to USB cable, is this all you need to do a transfer?

I

illumination

I was able to put all my important documents on a USB while this thing was going down, but I could only save about 20% of my music. It was taking hours to transfer using an Ethernet cable and the computer would lock up. I purchased the Recovery disks from Toshiba, but I am hoping I can still save the music. I see that you can purchase a hard drive to USB cable, is this all you need to do a transfer?

Yes you can obtain portable hard drives that connect via usb. I would recommend once you get the new system up and going, to do just that, back up your important things on a regular basis, one never knows when disaster can strike, even a faulty hardware can cause you to lose material.

I personally do not store anything on my system, it is all backed up on portable devices. Not only does this keep me from losing anything, but i can access it from any computer as well.

kaljukass

Level 2
May 17, 2012
If you haven't a greatly rushed, then it is high time to divide your hard drive into two parts (make two partions), then things will be easier to relocate and treat Windows.

jenna mel

Thread author
Verified
Jan 5, 2014
Background:
My husband's Toshiba laptop with 500GB hard drive (L755) (and >2 gig of our music downloads) got a virus when we went on vacation (12/30/13). The computer became slower and slower and so I turned to Malware tips for advice. We cleaned the computer of the virus, but after I ran a clean up tool the computer would no longer boot. I was unable to retrieve all the music off the HD. I don't know why the computer won't boot. I don't know if the motherboard is toast (the computer has been dropped) or if the hard drive is toast (water was spilled on it a couple of months ago and I changed the keyboard to get it back to working condition). I was able to create a Boot disk from my desktop computer also running Windows 7 and get to a c: prompt on the laptop and run chkdsk /f.
I have now ordered the Toshiba Recovery disks, but before I run them I was wondering if I can take the HD out of the laptop and use a cable such as you see on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-To-...t=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item1c3b6ba659) and retrieve the music files. Any info would be helpful.

kaljukass

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Background:
My husband's Toshiba laptop with 500GB hard drive (L755) (and >2 gig of our music downloads) got a virus when we went on vacation (12/30/13). The computer became slower and slower and so I turned to Malware tips for advice. We cleaned the computer of the virus, but after I ran a clean up tool the computer would no longer boot. I was unable to retrieve all the music off the HD. I don't know why the computer won't boot. I don't know if the motherboard is toast (the computer has been dropped) or if the hard drive is toast (water was spilled on it a couple of months ago and I changed the keyboard to get it back to working condition). I was able to create a Boot disk from my desktop computer also running Windows 7 and get to a c: prompt on the laptop and run chkdsk /f.
I have now ordered the Toshiba Recovery disks, but before I run them I was wondering if I can take the HD out of the laptop and use a cable such as you see on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-To-...t=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item1c3b6ba659) and retrieve the music files. Any info would be helpful.
Sorry, but have I understand rightly, you do not know very much about the computer. If so, it is difficult to guide you over the Internet. You need find somebody, who can help You there. Here You can find only some good ideas, but You must know, how to use them.

I

illumination

Background:

In theory yes, as long as the data is not corrupted on the drive.

jenna mel

Thread author
Verified
Jan 5, 2014
Okay, so I burned MHDD and ran it. It asks me to "Enter HHD number" and I don't know what to put. Thanks.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.